Can anyone eyeball this Heifer and let me know weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

fm500

Reaction score
Can anyone eyeball this Heifer and let me know what you think she weighs? Ready for the butcher?

20130106_130415.jpg

20130104_090233.jpg

20130104_090236.jpg

20130104_090222.jpg

I have never been good a guessing weight and pictures are even tougher
pic 1 and 4 she looks about 800
2 and 3 looks closer to 700

Better to butcher by condition/finish then weight. Can;t guess the weight but she's not ready to butcher

Hard to tell what weight she is by pictures, but I would say 800+. and I agree with the others, NOT ready for butchering.

Too me, she looks like she is pushing 1000, trying to compare her to the door and other sized objects. A rear shot would be easier to evaluate, but she appears to have fat deposit around her trailhead, or a bunch of hair which could be since it is winter! Best to put your hands on her and feel for finish then go by a picture...

I had her at 850 before I scrolled down to see what others guessed. I like this game, we should do it with ones that have actual weights taken so we can see how accurate we are!

Thank you very much for the input.

Many of you mention it's not ready for the butcher. What makes you say that and what is the consequence -- just sub-optimal yield?

Well, I had to send her to the butcher.

I raised her as an Orphan since she was small (You know -- that odd pet calf that lets you use her as a leaning post without running)? Yeah, she's responsible for the hilarity here with her grain bucket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvgt99Jp2k . She'll would even "upright" it for you to poor grain in :).

However, the days were getting cold, the feed running out, and I needed to clear out the pasture.

To all of you that guessed, the butcher said it went out at 690# hanging weight. I will never know the hoof weight exactly. It was a bit higher than I was expecting to be honest, but I surely won't complain.

That's a wrap for my first animal. Now it's time to figure how how to fill out the butcher order form...

Well, with 60% dressing weight average, I would like to say that I think I was the closest on guessing her weight, but it seems even I underestimated her weight! I would say she was good and ready to butcher for you!
This is where I would like to stick my tongue out, but since I can not find the smiley faces any more, here goes :p

fm500":2p6swbl2 said:

I raised her as an Orphan since she was small (You know -- that odd pet calf that lets you use her as a leaning post without running)? Yeah, she's responsible for the hilarity here with her grain bucket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvgt99Jp2k . She'll would even "upright" it for you to poor grain in :).

However, the days were getting cold, the feed running out, and I needed to clear out the pasture.

To all of you that guessed, the butcher said it went out at 690# hanging weight. I will never know the hoof weight exactly. It was a bit higher than I was expecting to be honest, but I surely won't complain.

That's a wrap for my first animal. Now it's time to figure how how to fill out the butcher order form...

You did a good job with her! If you have not had home raised beef before you are in for a real treat.

Fire Sweep Ranch":31fi5fer said:
Well, with 60% dressing weight average, I would like to say that I think I was the closest on guessing her weight, but it seems even I underestimated her weight! I would say she was good and ready to butcher for you!
This is where I would like to stick my tongue out, but since I can not find the smiley faces any more, here goes :p

Of course if she was continental breed, your 60% dressing number will be off....We have had a lot of Limi heifers dress 68 to 69%...

mwj":1654mdgl said:
fm500":1654mdgl said:

You did a good job with her! If you have not had home raised beef before you are in for a real treat.

Thanks. It's my first :). The county wrote me a nasty-gram once because my pasture was growing too high which started this all... I didn't want to mow it, so I found a a four legged solution...

houstoncutter":3jvu1dro said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3jvu1dro said:

Of course if she was continental breed, your 60% dressing number will be off....We have had a lot of Limi heifers dress 68 to 69%...

From where it came from -- I was told it's black angus, but I know occasional there was some other bred into the herd every so many years on purpose (hyprid vigor?) I'm not sure what its called.

Anyways, it came from a ranch where they have (and sell) hundreds per year. The orphans just get sold or sent to auction -- apparently if Momma cow is gone for any reason they don't want to make the time/effort to raise them, as they essentially are free-roaming on BLM grazing permits.

fm500":33ixf7iq said:
Thanks. It's my first :). The county wrote me a nasty-gram once because my pasture was growing too high which started this all... I didn't want to mow it, so I found a a four legged solution...

What? You mean the county has a say in everyone's pasture height where you live?

By the way, how old was the heifer in the pictures?