Can a person have to many guns, or to much ammo?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
My wife asked me yesterday when are you going to have enough guns and ammo. And up to that point I hadn't really haven't given that subject much thought. And after giving the gun and ammo subject some thought, I came to the realization that I'll never have to many guns or to much ammo. Just curious if it's a man thing or just my thing?

I suppose everyone sees it differently. I've never felt the need or had the desire to own a house full of guns. I have a pistol, rifle and two shotguns. More than enough for me but if you enjoy collecting guns what the heck. Do it.

To each their own. I have two rifles and a shotgun. I'd like a revolver and then l think I'm content. As long as another Las Vegas isn't in the plans it's no worse than antiques, baseball cards, gold coins, etc.

Yes, prices have come down and will continue IMO, so why lay up an inventory laying around losing money. I wish I had sold down to three, maybe five guns bout three years ago when they were at their peak. All a person needs is a good pump or semi auto shotgun, nice .22 and/or .22 mag rifle, one high powered rifle in .243 or .270 or 30-06, conceal carry pistol .380 and either a .45 or 9mm pistol large frame.

Not everybody's life experience are like mine. I lost all my "stuff" about 11 years ago. It made me reevaluate some things. One of those things, was the shear volume of things that I own. I cut way back. For instance, I only own two pair of shoes. Kinda need a new work pair, but I'm going to wait. I guess I'm a minimalist. In my opinion, once your needs are met, then you have enough.

The other side of the coin, sometimes we have to do what makes us happy.

You can have too many women.
You can have too many problems.
You can have too many weeds.
You can have too many guns.
But you can never have too much ammo.

Better to have it and not need it than the inverse, tho many do follow the minimalist train of thought...but when the Zombie Apocalypse comes, they'll be singing a different tune in regards to ammo.

Bigfoot":3rlkqoso said:
Not everybody's life experience are like mine. I lost all my "stuff" about 11 years ago. It made me reevaluate some things. One of those things, was the shear volume of things that I own. I cut way back. For instance, I only own two pair of shoes. Kinda need a new work pair, but I'm going to wait. I guess I'm a minimalist. In my opinion, once your needs are met, then you have enough.

Believe it or not right now I only have one pair right now .not counting rubber boots.

I own several vehicles. it gets to be a pain moving the spare tire from one to the other. so every single one has a spare tire. There's more spare tires in the shop and in the barn.

When I was shooting defense handgun at our local range near Helena. It was mostly local members but folks came to our events from Great Falls, Butte, etc. We shot a lot! Several days a week. The range was outdoors and it was easy to get a lane to yourself. Shooting steel shilottes on rails is an easy way to go through 200 rounds. I shot .45 ACP. Loaded on a progressive Dillon Press. Man, it turns them out fast. I loaded a couple evenings every week.

My point: you soon learn that all handguns are not EQUAL. My advice to anyone is have 4 really high quality handguns instead of 30 that will breakdown under intensive use.

Edited: Kimber is not a Wilson Combat. You have to take my word. I shot both and several models.

callmefence":x880pnc1 said:
Bigfoot":x880pnc1 said:

Believe it or not right now I only have one pair right now .not counting rubber boots.

I own several vehicles. it gets to be a pain moving the spare tire from one to the other. so every single one has a spare tire. There's more spare tires in the shop and in the barn.
Christmas is coming up you'll be in tall cotton before you know it.
https://www.tecovas.com
These are some good boots at great prices.

Bright Raven":3cw5x0bo said:
When I was shooting defense handgun at our local range near Helena. It was mostly local members but folks came to our events from Great Falls, Butte, etc. We shot a lot! Several days a week. The range was outdoors and it was easy to get a lane to yourself. Shooting steel shilottes on rails is an easy way to go through 200 rounds. I shot .45 ACP. Loaded on a progressive Dillon Press. Man, it turns them out fast. I loaded a couple evenings every week.

My point: you soon learn that all handguns are not EQUAL. My advice to anyone is have 4 really high quality handguns instead of 30 that will breakdown under intensive use.

Edited: Kimber is not a Wilson Combat. You have to take my word. I shot both and several models.

I've only owned one Kimber. It was a good shooter, but was terribly uncomfortable to carry and ended up one of the few guns that I've sold. (actually traded it on a Lauer Custom Shop piece) I prefer my SIG or WC for carry guns.

Farm Fence Solutions":3sclz0fw said:
Bright Raven":3sclz0fw said:

I've only owned one Kimber. It was a good shooter, but was terribly uncomfortable to carry and ended up one of the few guns that I've sold. (actually traded it on a Lauer Custom Shop piece) I prefer my SIG or WC for carry guns.

I owned 4 different models of the Kimber 1911 in .45 ACP. They are not junk. However, they are inferior to the top Custom 1911s like the Les Baer, Brown and WC. All 4 models of the Kimber I had would have the occasional FTF or FTE. That is a pita when you are in the middle of an event.

Bright Raven":qz1iheut said:

GLOCK, is the defensive handgun that all others are judged by, and for good reason. There's a big difference between the range and actual self-defense, survival guns. My brother swears by the 1911 Ed Brown in .38 super for range shooting, but carries a GLOCK 23 for self-defense.

True Grit Farms":1rib2ova said:
My wife asked me yesterday when are you going to have enough guns and ammo. And up to that point I hadn't really haven't given that subject much thought. And after giving the gun and ammo subject some thought, I came to the realization that I'll never have to many guns or to much ammo. Just curious if it's a man thing or just my thing?

The ammo question no.

Bright Raven":8cg3wflz said:
You can have too many women.
You can have too many problems.
You can have too many weeds.
You can have too many guns.
But you can never have too much ammo.

Yep.

I think it depends on whether you are a collector or not. A collector can never have too many because there will always be something different/new/custom for the collector to possess. A survivalist/prepper probably would want the basics as listed here by several of you folks. I myself have a 22 revolver, a 32 pistol, a 22 rifle, and a 30/30. Seems to work for me.

Latest posts