can a human pass a cold on to cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
This may be a silly question - I have a heck of a late winter cold/cough. I was out with the cattle today and a few of them always come right up to me, lick my hand etc. I end up coughing all over. Can I pass any thing to cattle?

Like I said, stupid question.

I highly doubt it just as you can not give your cat or dog a cold either..

But you can pass things on to cattle from your hands especially newborns, like e coli and other nasty bacteria so it is good practice to always sanitise your hands or wear protective gloves when handling newborns or doing anything that involves secretions..

Feel better and remember to drink plenty of fluids and take lot's of vitamin C... :)

This is one if the reasons I become a hermit before and during calving season ,,,,,,nothing worse than calving in -30 weather with a bad cold.. :(

Is there any vitamin C in beer?? It is a fluid...

I'll have a big glass of orange juice first.

My oldest daughter kept rabbits for many years and as I recall she did say something about how you can give cold to a rabbit...but that was many years ago.

Thank you, HD. I will be especially careful by calving time. Hopefully I'll be over this by then!

Really it is not a stupid question, there are a lot of diseases that can jump from human to animal or vice versa. I don't know if the common cold will transmit, but the flu can.

No, you can't pass on the common cold. Some strains of viruses though have mutated and can be passed, and of course you can pass things like bacteria.

google 'zoonosis' or 'human animal transmission' and you will find that there are a TON of diseases that are transmitted between species.

Think of just these ones
Influenza
West Nile
Rabies
Anthrax
Salmonella
E. coli
Tuberculosis

And, that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

SRBeef":3px188jz said:
Is there any vitamin C in beer?? It is a fluid...

I'll have a big glass of orange juice first.

My oldest daughter kept rabbits for many years and as I recall she did say something about how you can give cold to a rabbit...but that was many years ago.

Thank you, HD. I will be especially careful by calving time. Hopefully I'll be over this by then!

Put a double shot of vodka in that orange juice so it won't freeze out in that Wisconsin weather.