Can a 900 lb. heifer hold up a 2100 lb. bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Some bulls are real gentlemen....

FYI...the comment that "he's a real bull in the bedroom" is not a compliment. The average bull only takes 3-5 seconds to get 'er done; od course he will do it again a few minutes later.

good to know. usually we have younger bulls that weigh from 1100 to 1500 that we can put with the younger cows but theyve all been sold this year.

I don't know. We have never tried it. It just don't make sense.

bc thats the only bull have have right now and i was curious if ppl thought the heifers could handle it or if i had to AI them. i figured the would be able to cuz theyll be 15 months old. but i dont know im still learning.

id love more input!

lmp570 I think she can but why take the risk?AI her the first go around she still got some growing to do.

rattler

This is going to depend on your bull. If he's a well balanced, good walking bull he can easily breed a 9 weight heifer with absolutely no danger to the heifer. If he's a clumsy sucker, AI the heifer.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":36rapmxf said:
This is going to depend on your bull. If he's a well balanced, good walking bull he can easily breed a 9 weight heifer with absolutely no danger to the heifer. If he's a clumsy sucker, AI the heifer.

Rod

agree 100% , age and weight play a secondary role to the bull's ability when breeding. Some are heavy breeders where they put a lot of weight on the heifer whilest others put very little weight on the heifer. Sound hindlegs is an absolute must in a bull used on heifers.

is a 900 lb. heifer strong enough to hold up a 2100 lb. bull long enough to get bred??

Absolutely. Have seen it done it hundreds, if not thousands of times.

Even with bulls up to 2400-2500 lbs.

MikeC":rxyh8o85 said:
is a 900 lb. heifer strong enough to hold up a 2100 lb. bull long enough to get bred??

Absolutely. Have seen it done it hundreds, if not thousands of times.

Even with bulls up to 2400-2500 lbs.

Yes. Most of the weight is on the bull's hind legs and all he is doing is balancing.

like backhoeboogie said most of the weight is on the bulls hind legs the front is just for balance and to stabelize him self, not to mention he is only there for a few seconds anyway.

Diehard40":gks6ja1r said:
like backhoeboogie said most of the weight is on the bulls hind legs the front is just for balance and to stabelize him self, not to mention he is only there for a few seconds anyway.

But it still depends on the athleticism of the bull. I've seen clumsy bulls knock over every cow they moounted and others that barely know they've been mounted except for that funny tail position deal.

Re:

Maybe, under absolute ideal conditions. But IMO it is a foolish practice and could very well cost you a heifer or two.

It is true that it only takes a bull a few seconds to breed, but that does not include all the times he attempts to mount her while she is coming into full heat and will allows him to breed her.
And during all these hours of foreplay he may attempt to mount her from either side or the front, or may have interference from other animals causing him to lose his footing.
Then there is the problem of him loosing his footing on hills and/or in rainy weather. Not to mention an attempted running mount while he is chasing her around all day.

And I'm not even going to go into what a large (80 lbs +) calf can do to a first time heifer!

IMO you are just asking for trouble!
goodluck.gif

SL

Cows have gotten much larger through the years. In the 60's, most angus cows didn't weigh 900 their whole lives. I don't see any problem with a 900 lb heifer, but the bulls I use are bos indicus influenced.

by what im reading i guess its a 50/50 chance either way. not sure i like those odds. but what i cant understand is if an angus calf has a BW of say 70lbs. then at weaning time at 180-210 days old it should weight say 350-450lbs on a diet of pasture/grain/hay the heifer should gain at LEAST 2 lbs per day. so by weaning at 210 days old at a weight of... lets go for 400, and keeping them on pasture,grain,and hay they should weigh 880 lbs at 15 months, and isnt that the age theyre supposed to be put with a bull?

lmp570":27ykn4nc said:
by what im reading i guess its a 50/50 chance either way. not sure i like those odds. but what i cant understand is if an angus calf has a BW of say 70lbs. then at weaning time at 180-210 days old it should weight say 350-450lbs on a diet of pasture/grain/hay the heifer should gain at LEAST 2 lbs per day. so by weaning at 210 days old at a weight of... lets go for 400, and keeping them on pasture,grain,and hay they should weigh 880 lbs at 15 months, and isnt that the age theyre supposed to be put with a bull?

If that's all the heavier they're weaning 880 would be the right weight for her to be bred. Are you sure you're not thinking of Dexters?

Imp.
Re:
so by weaning at 210 days old at a weight of... lets go for 400, and keeping them on pasture,grain,and hay they should weigh 880 lbs at 15 months, and isnt that the age theyre supposed to be put with a bull?
That's fine, but you don't put them with a 2,000 plus lb bull. You use a yearling bull. (1,000 to 1,500 lbs)

The two factors you must consider with any cow and bull is:
1. the weight of the bull
2. the height of the cow
The height of the cow determines the lbs of the bull transferred to the cow during breeding.
The further the bull is able to lean over the cow, because she is shorter then he, the more weight of the bull is transferred to the cow.

Its simple physics, the same as when a small young bull attempts to mount a full grown cow and falls over backwards. Only when there is a heifer under a large bull and he falls forward all his weight goes on the heifer.

The rule of thumb is that if the bull locks his front legs past the cows hip bones you are using too large of a bull.
And in your case, using a 2,000 plus lb bull on a 880 lb heifer, my guess is his front legs will be about half way up her stomach.
Which brings up several other problems.
Depth of penetration, which can cause internal injury to the heifer and/or a broken penis to the bull when she goes down.
SL

Latest posts