Can a 2 month old calf get joint ill?

Help Support CattleToday:

sel795

Reaction score
Hi all. I am new to cattle and to this board. I have had horses for years and years and finally decided to add some cattle to the farm. I have been reading a lot of the stickies and other threads on this forum and found them very helpful.

Anyway, on to my question. I have a 2 month old Angus bottle heifer who I noticed tonight has a slightly swollen and sore hind leg, around the stifle joint. She was just fine this morning. Have had her since she was 3 weeks and she has always been a very healthy, alert calf. She does not seem sick and drank her bottle tonight. She's staying on her feet, but is lame on that right hind. She doesn't seem to like the injured area to be touched, that seems to cause her discomfort. I am not sure if she somehow injured herself (she has been in the barn all day due to rain with her friend, another 2 month old bottle heifer) or what? Joint ill came to my mind but would you see that come up so suddenly in a 2 month old calf? I know in newborn foals that if you make it past a week they're pretty much just not going to get navel/joint ill/septicemia but I just don't know if it's the same for cattle. What should I do for her? I've grown attached to this lil heifer, she is such a sweetheart, don't want to see anything happen to her. If I need to call the vet in the morning I will. Just figured I'd ask here in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Could be a relapse if it had it when it was first born before you got it. Check her temp and see if its high. If its over 102.5-103 she will need banamine. No temp maybe an injury of some sort. I am by no means an expert but dealt with a case of joint ill this year with a relapse.

Thanks so much for the reply. I took her temp this morning and it was 102.7, and it's very warm out especially considering the time of year. Will probably check it again tonight. Again she took her bottle, looking for more as always, and is still bright eyed and alert, so I'm thinking it's probably just an injury. She doesn't want to walk on the leg. I do have some banamine, bute and ketoprofen on hand. Would it be advisable to give her one of those drugs for the pain? I gave our weanling Hereford heifer the ketoprofen after she was dehorned and it seemed to help her, that one seemed worse off from the pain than this little bottle heifer though.

Better to give her a couple of aspirin twice a day. Works for pain and the swelling.

Thank you dun, will keep that in mind too. Didn't know aspirin was good for cattle :)

The little calf seems much better this morning and is walking on the leg again, although it still seems a little tender, I think she is on the mend. She is still fine otherwise. I guess I just worry too much!! Thanks for the replies guys, it really helped to put my mind at ease.

Latest posts