Can 1 of you fence gurus answer this ? about wire companies please?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I know this is a small thing in the bigger scheme of things, but I gotta know..
I saw a video one time, of how they make Teepost clips and they come off the bend,stamp line in a pretty orderly fashion but that's not how they come to us in the buckets or bags.
Do the companies go around to the insane asylum halfway houses and vet specific people..looking for the most perversely sadist sob they can find, awarding the job the one that can tangle the dang things up the most in the shortest amt of time as they bag them up?
Is there some sort of federal law or rule that says that's the way they have to be bagged?
Do they get paid a bonus if random samples indicate it's impossible to get a single clip out without tearing the container open and dumping the whole wad of clips out on your tailgate?
Do they send them to specialized school to learn how to turn individual clips into a single wadded up tangled mass?
Does their QA guy reject the whole run of clips if he finds one bag you can get a clip from all by itself?
I bought a bag of a hundred 5/0 treble fish hooks one time, the ones for dough bait with the springs on the shanks that weren't tangled up as bad a bag of teepost clips are.
??? :help:

Sheffield used to make em all lined up with a strip of heavy masking tape holding them together. Looked kinda like ammo for one of those belt fed machine guns. You could through one over your shoulder and just pick em off one at a time. You could put one over each shoulder and look like Rambo building fence.
Haven't seen em in years. Get you a bucket empty a bag in the bucket. Grad one and shake. Install clip and repeat. Don't put more than than 2 bags at a time in the bucket. You find a better way please let me know.

Back in the day the clips that we got with the t posts came in bags of 100 or more. Now they come in bags of 20/25? or some ridiculously small amount. Seems like you have to rip open 10 bags to get a decent amount of clips in a bucket. I think their intention with the small bags is so the retail farm stores can easily sell the clips separately or divide them out for those buying small amounts of t posts.

We've recently started using clip benders, and they've helped tremendously with clipping. Much better than a screwdriver or nail and much easier on the fingers. https://www.amazon.com/Clip-Bender-Ulti ... B0091UZPC8

But clipping is still the most hated job around here when it comes to fence building.

I've always used a set of pliers, when using clips/ties. Fairly quick and easy.

The easiest fence ties I've ever used were for use on chainlink. A simple aluminum tie, shaped like a long J. Those are slick!

Latest posts