Camp cooley

Help Support CattleToday:

the camp cooley sale is weird deal in my eyes.i dont know why you sale a herd you took great pains to build an estb.

Have they sold the land? Would you hire a consultant for your ranching operation that doesn't ranch? This is really confusing. :?

Why weren't the 333 registered Brangus females sold in their previous "Complete Registered Brangus Herd Dispersal"?

Frankie":1gsufytm said:
Have they sold the land? Would you hire a consultant for your ranching operation that doesn't ranch? This is really confusing. :?
Guess it depends on the direction they are headed. Back in the mid 80's I worked for a construction company that hired a banker to run it.......................................................into bankruptcy.

"Why weren't the 333 registered Brangus females sold in their previous "Complete Registered Brangus Herd Dispersal"?

The 333 Brangus and 122 Charolais females that will sale in November are made up mostly of the heifers that were quarantined during the main dispersal this summer.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1opjcuv9 said:
Frankie":1opjcuv9 said:

I have heard through a fairly reliable source (Dr. Todd Bickett in Georgia that does my embryo transfer and also does three trees ranch et said that Stan Thomas was telling him he had purchased camp cooley.) Whether this is true or not I do not know. I do know that according to Dr. Bickett Three Trees who had heavy 1680 genetics in their herd is going from 1,000 et calves per year down to 400.

I have also heard that Three Trees has purchased the land. I haven't seen anything official yet but that is the rumor going around. And also comes from fairly reliable sources.

whitecow":1wcmqbzn said:
"Why weren't the 333 registered Brangus females sold in their previous "Complete Registered Brangus Herd Dispersal"?

The 333 Brangus and 122 Charolais females that will sale in November are made up mostly of the heifers that were quarantined during the main dispersal this summer.

Could be...they also were suppose to have about 2000 head of recip cows calving since Spring..Wonder where they went?

I had not heard this. Why if someone bought your herd or outfit, would you go through the cost of having a final dispersal. If someone bought the ranch, wouldnt they already own the cattle. Why then create expense to sell them. I guess a dispersal doesnt really mean dispersal.

you have to remember camp cooley ranch is 14000acs.just the ranch alone is worth 35 to 40 million dollars.then you add 1500 to 2000hd of cattle an thats 6 to 8 million.then a full line of equipment an cattle working equipment an thats another 5 or 6 million.so you looking at $55 to $60 million total.an thats alot of money to come up with.

bigbull338":2tzhz90v said:
you have to remember camp cooley ranch is 14000acs.just the ranch alone is worth 35 to 40 million dollars.then you add 1500 to 2000hd of cattle an thats 6 to 8 million.then a full line of equipment an cattle working equipment an thats another 5 or 6 million.so you looking at $55 to $60 million total.an thats alot of money to come up with.

It's just 2.5 - 2.7 million shares of Chesepeake Energy stock. ;-) (Currently trading at $22.18). For lots of big money folks looking for a better place to put assets, that is a drop in a bucket.

plbcattle":sdfoq105 said:
I had not heard this. Why if someone bought your herd or outfit, would you go through the cost of having a final dispersal. If someone bought the ranch, wouldnt they already own the cattle. Why then create expense to sell them. I guess a dispersal doesnt really mean dispersal.

Both 3Trees and CC are purebred operations. The Brangus females from CC are probably some of the best in the breed. I don't think 3Threes runs Brangus, so they probably wouldn't pay what CC would want for the Brangus cows. 3Trees does run Chars. I'm sort of surprised they didn't buy those along with the ranchland.

1982vett":isjd9ssv said:
bigbull338":isjd9ssv said:

It's just 2.5 - 2.7 million shares of Chesepeake Energy stock. ;-) (Currently trading at $22.18). For lots of big money folks looking for a better place to put assets, that is a drop in a bucket.

Last Camp Cooley sale the big buyer was the President of XTO Energy. Spent several million dollars on cows. Probably doesn't know what a cow turd looks like. :D

Here's what they have on their website about "what's happening":

October 10, 2008

Klaus Birkel announced the formation of a new service company, the first of its kind in the cattle industry, Camp Cooley Genetics. This company is designed to specifically consult registered and commercial operations in their breeding, management and marketing decisions, while no longer being in direct competition with its customers.

In addition, Camp Cooley Ranch made known today the formation of a "Genetic Partnership" with its lead customers . . . to create a dynamic and successful continuation of the Brinks Brangus and Camp Cooley Charolais breeding programs that will serve both the seedstock and commercial cattle operators for the future. This partnership gives Camp Cooley the opportunity to go into a much broader genetic base, to evaluate, and to breed the leading edge genetics necessary for the future of the cattle industry.

Camp Cooley Genetics will encompass the custom bull stud in Wheelock, Texas, as well as, the embryo transfer facilities in Franklin, Texas with embryo transfer satellite operations in Sterling, Oklahoma; Batesville, Arkansas; and Coleman, Texas.

Camp Cooley Genetics combines the breeding, consulting and marketing activities of Camp Cooley Ranch, the feeder calf marketing of Camp Cooley Beef, the services of Ultimate Genetics.

The management of Camp Cooley Genetics will be in the capable hands of President, Mark Cowan, with Trey Kirkpatrick heading the Marketing and Sales team. Ken Hughes will continue as the Genetic Director for Camp Cooley Genetics. Jeremy Price remains at the helm of the bull stud and Brad Wright will continue to manage the ET facilities. Bryan Hall will be the CFO of the new company. The experienced sales staff will remain in place as the marketing arm of the company.

whitecow":x53brvbh said:
Here's a listing for the ranch.....$47.5MM

http://realestate.yahoo.com/Homes_for_sale/408f4b9eeb1f32bd8497cc4daf471be6

By the way, Three Trees did buy many of the high IMF Brangus cows from the CCR Dispersal this summer. You can read about them on the Three Trees web site.

Noticed on the listing they are conveying water and lignite rights....no mention of minerals. There are a number of high producing gas wells on the place. Guess they want to hold on to those.