calving?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

went out to feed my cows today , only have 2 , cow with last years heifer , and the cow has a clear dicharge, how long is it usually before they calve ? this is my first time , i think i'm more excited then when my kids where born. thanks for your info. MR.

Don't know if this helps any. We raise Texas Longhorns (am sure most of their stuff is similar to other breeds??). Anyway, when one of our cows is close to calving, she will begin to bag up anywhere between one and seven days before. About the same time period, her vulva will begin to protrude slightly and be "jelly-like". She'll begin to keep her tail head elevated some, may look back at her stomach area more frequently, etc. When she does into labor, the bag is pretty full, and labor to delivery is usually over with in less than an hour. From the time she lies down until the calf is out and breathing, it is usually only about 15-20 minutes or so. Calf usually begins to nurse within 45 to 60 minutes.

There are really two different discharge consistancies. The first is clear to somewhat whitish and rather sticky (it hangs in long threads) that can start as much as a month before calving but a week or two is more common. There is also a clear runny discharge that doesn't stick to everything. Normally calf within 12 to 24 hours, or it could be 20 minutes, all depends on the cow. Bagging isn't a sure sign, some back far before calving to the point you don't think they could put anymore milk in there, others bag just before and some after. Some never bag tight. This site may be helpfull

"http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/beef/g539.htm"

dun

> went out to feed my cows today ,
> only have 2 , cow with last years
> heifer , and the cow has a clear
> dicharge, how long is it usually
> before they calve ? this is my
> first time , i think i'm more
> excited then when my kids where
> born. thanks for your info. MR.

> Don't know if this helps any. We
> raise Texas Longhorns (am sure
> most of their stuff is similar to
> other breeds??). Anyway, when one
> of our cows is close to calving,
> she will begin to bag up anywhere
> between one and seven days before.
> About the same time period, her
> vulva will begin to protrude
> slightly and be
> "jelly-like". She'll
> begin to keep her tail head
> elevated some, may look back at
> her stomach area more frequently,
> etc. When she does into labor, the
> bag is pretty full, and labor to
> delivery is usually over with in
> less than an hour. From the time
> she lies down until the calf is
> out and breathing, it is usually
> only about 15-20 minutes or so.
> Calf usually begins to nurse
> within 45 to 60 minutes. / thank you for the helpful info. Dun & R/A. today their is no discharge but she is holding her tail up a little, she is being very patiant with me also , usually i can not check her unless she is eating , but she is just standing and letting me feel her stomach , and boy that little sucker is kicking. MR.

Latest posts