calving

Help Support CattleToday:

cajunman

Reaction score
I have few cows that look like there gone to bust. One of them, her bag just in the last 2 days is full. Is these a sign she is close ?

Yep, quite often when a cow bags up hard, and her udder looks like it will burst she is starting the labour process. Anywhere from a couple hours to a couple days and they usually have a calf.

Of course there are a few that will look like this for a week or more, and some won't hardly bag up at all until after they calve.

The best sign is when they separate themselves from the herd, move around restlessly and then have the waterbag ;-) :D

Good luck

cajunman":uyaaqc5s said:
I have few cows that look like there gone to bust. One of them, her bag just in the last 2 days is full. Is these a sign she is close ?

Cows all look different leading up to the labor process, but a good rule of thumb is this.

Many cows will appear swollen in the vulva area and start to make a bag. Usually within a few days of actually calving, their bag will appear to get very full. Some however, will have a full bag for several days or a week or two, and others won't make a bag until the calf is here.

bandit80":6v4aai1b said:
Some however, will have a full bag for several days or a week or two, and others won't make a bag until the calf is here.
This is so. Try not to use udder condition as an indicator of imminent birth, at least not in and of itself.

cajunman":cnedx66z said:

Not necessarily. You're better off watching for a very, very loose, floppy vulva, tail head sinking, restlessness, separating from the herd, and a feeling of her just being "off".

Checked on her last night , she was away from the herd and her vulva was swollen and floopy. I will check on her this evening.
Thanks for the input.

PS 7 more to go, all good mommas and 1 first time heifier.

Jan. till today 4 heifer's 2 bulls, 4 more older mommas and 1 2 yr. old to go. Not sure if they are bred. Sould I give them till June or check them these month ? They sould all be bred , but are not showing. The last cavle born was on 4-10-08. I will be culling out the older mommas but would like to make sure they are not bred. Sale now or wait ?

Thanks for any help
ps. also sould I keep a few of my young heifer for replacement, They all have good mommas, just getting old.
I have a new bull that will be ready in Dec.

ive got a cow that bagged up tight 5hrs or so before she calved the same day.come to think of it all my cows bagg just before they calve.

cajunman":22ovg3ll said:
Jan. till today 4 heifer's 2 bulls, 4 more older mommas and 1 2 yr. old to go. Not sure if they are bred. Sould I give them till June or check them these month ? They sould all be bred , but are not showing. The last cavle born was on 4-10-08. I will be culling out the older mommas but would like to make sure they are not bred. Sale now or wait ?

Personally - if I had animals on the cull list due to age, it wouldn't make a difference if they were bred or not. If they are too old to raise a decent calf, then I wouldn't waste money on a preg check, but that is just my thoughts.

Thanks for any help
ps. also sould I keep a few of my young heifer for replacement, They all have good mommas, just getting old.
I have a new bull that will be ready in Dec.

The pro's for keeping replacement heifers is that you know the heifer's mother, probably their father - depending on whether you AI or not - performance history on both, temperament of both, genetics of both, and can control who the heifer will be bred to. Con's to keeping replacement heifers is that you will have to carry them, and feed them for close to 2 years before they calve and contribute to the bottom line of your operation. I personally believe that the known factors outweigh the cost - if you purchase bred replacement heifers that are bred to the wrong bull, it can be a nightmare that results in lost calves, and possibly heifers as well - but that is just me. This is a decision you will have to make, based on your own operation, goals, and whether you can afford to raise replacements vs buying them already bred.

cajunman":1pzjz5ua said:
Yes, check them now, you don't want to waste resources on them if they are not bred.
If they ARE bred and you like them (they are just being culled due to age), let them have and raise their calf ~ especially if you are considering keeping replacement heifers, will give you a better range to choose from. We cannot keep heifers born out of season as they will not be ready for the next breeding season, will be too young ~ but it sounds like your season is months long so it does not matter so much.

Thanks for any help
I would choose to keep replacements for the very reasons that msscamp stated. I would sell 3 ok heifers though to buy 2 better than what I can breed on the place. If you buy private treaty, this is surely possible.

Thanks for the input. I will keep a few of my heifer and I have a friend that rises red angus that I can pickup a few heifers from they will be ready next spring. Also I will buy a bred heifer and a 2- 3 yr. cow later these yr.

Latest posts