Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a cow that was bred by 1 bull on 3/14 and another on 4/26. Her water broke today. Which bull would be the sire of this calf. By my calculations, she would be due by the first bull on 12/23 and by the second bull on 2/4/03. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Harry

[email protected]

She's possibly bred to either. If the calf is large, it's more likely overdue than early. If the calf is small, it's more likely early than overdue...if they're twins, they're early. If you must know, you'll have to blood type or DNA type to know for sure.

seems awfully late by one or awfully early by the other.. maybe either one of them bred her in between and you didnt know it..

gene

> I have a cow that was bred by 1
> bull on 3/14 and another on 4/26.
> Her water broke today. Which bull
> would be the sire of this calf. By
> my calculations, she would be due
> by the first bull on 12/23 and by
> the second bull on 2/4/03. Any
> help on this matter would be
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.

> Harry

[email protected]

In addition to what Gene and Vicky said if it has been really COLD after having been warmer, then the labor may be Cold Induced and the delivery may be premature.

Eaglewerks

> seems awfully late by one or
> awfully early by the other.. maybe
> either one of them bred her in
> between and you didnt know it..

> gene

[email protected]

another thing... hope not though... late term abortion if the latter bull bred on the date you said...

maybe some others can share more info on that...

gene

> In addition to what Gene and Vicky
> said if it has been really COLD
> after having been warmer, then the
> labor may be Cold Induced and the
> delivery may be premature.

> Eaglewerks

[email protected]

Could it be possible that she was bred by both bulls. She had that calf on Sunday and she has been showing signs of contractions and her tail is still out from her body. The calf died, so I wonder if she thinks she is still carrying it because her milk is down. Thanks in advance.

Harry

[email protected]

i dont think it would be possible for her to bred and it take each time 6-7 weeks apart... once the egg is fertilized it closes itself off and she wouldnt cycle anymore...

dont know all the technical terms, but for her to breed with twins, the only way i know is for the eggs to both be fertilized in the same cycle..

maybe dun or someone can say it better... or if i am missing something here, straighten me out...

gene

> Could it be possible that she was
> bred by both bulls. She had that
> calf on Sunday and she has been
> showing signs of contractions and
> her tail is still out from her
> body. The calf died, so I wonder
> if she thinks she is still
> carrying it because her milk is
> down. Thanks in advance.

> Harry

[email protected]

Put her in a chute and check her, that's the only way to know for certain if all is well. The odds of her carrying calves from two services is are poor. But stranger things have happend with cows.

dun

> i dont think it would be possible
> for her to bred and it take each
> time 6-7 weeks apart... once the
> egg is fertilized it closes itself
> off and she wouldnt cycle
> anymore...

> dont know all the technical terms,
> but for her to breed with twins,
> the only way i know is for the
> eggs to both be fertilized in the
> same cycle..