Calving season underway (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
First calf was born last night at about 8 pm. Unassisted birth :clap: . I believe that it is a heifer calf but am not completely sure. I will know today. I hope to take a pic and post it tonight. This is the first beef calf out of my Balancer bull. BW of this calf seemed to be a little heavier than the BW's from my last bull with this same cow so I am going to watch the heifers closely :| .

Ok.....I promised pics and now I have a bonus. Another of my favorite cows calved at about 4 pm this afternoon. It was a nice bull calf. The cow with the heifer has had a heifer calf every year since she has been calving (3 calves). The cow with the bull calf has had a bull calf every year since she has been calving (3 calves). The two cows pictured are half sisters and always calve withing 48 hours of each other every year. These two have weaned off 600+ pound calves every year so far. These cows are the kind I love.

Daddy is a registered Balancer bull. These are his first beef calves. It will be interesting to see how they develop..........several more to go :mrgreen:

Heifer calf and mom
P2260023.jpg

Moms big butt
P2260024.jpg

Heifer relaxing with mom
P2260022.jpg

Bull calf and mom
P2260025.jpg

Bull calf getting a meal
P2260027.jpg

I just hate it that you had to use a black bull on those good looking red cows. :roll:

Nice calves.....really nice cows

Jovid":2wdlw4sx said:
I just hate it that you had to use a black bull on those good looking red cows. :roll:

Nice calves.....really nice cows

Thanks. I really LOVE red cows but I also realize the economics of my area and the buyers want black calves. I find that on the average the red cows that I see are better than the average black cows. I am very proud of my red cattle. They are built well, great mommas and very gentle. I would love to have a whole pasture of cows just like them.

hrbelgians":35sfkjc5 said:
HOSS,
You can ship me the cow (3rd photo), I would even let you keep her calf!! Very nice.

Actually the cow in the last two pics is slightly better but it don't show in the photos. The cow in the first pic had a calf 2 years ago that is getting ready to calve. Her second calf will be ready to breed this summer. I have retained all of her heifer calves so far because they have all been like her.

Another bull calf born at 4pm today to a heifer. She birthed unassisted so I can breath better about this unproven bull. It is an exact replica of the bull calf born on Monday so I am excited about the uniformity so far. I'm tagging and de-bagging in the morning just so I can keep em' straight. That is the problem with them looking too much alike. :cboy:

Latest posts