Calving Season Over

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Our Longhorn spring calving season is over! Had 15 in all. Plus one TWH filly born this week. All slipped right out with no problem...nursing & running around well within 3 hours or so. Good heifer year for us, heifers outnumbered bulls 2 to 1.

Running Arrow Bill":ds4cuiy5 said:
Our Longhorn spring calving season is over! Had 15 in all. Plus one TWH filly born this week. All slipped right out with no problem...nursing & running around well within 3 hours or so. Good heifer year for us, heifers outnumbered bulls 2 to 1.

Congratulations!! Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Running Arrow Bill":2o91505y said:

Must be the year of the Heifer Calf. We've got about a 5:1 Ratio.Usually it's pretty much 50/50.Glad all yours have done well. Our season is over too, only had a couple mishaps.

Same here. Ours have been over for about a month and the heifers out numbered the bull calves. Now I just gotta fast talk the husband into letting me keep all those heifers. Wish me luck. :D

Globally speaking, is the heifer/bull ratio normally 50/50? Are there techniques that can be employed, such as some with the human race (the sperm of one sex, I forget which one, is a little hardier than the other which can sometimes be used to increase the chances of having a girl), to move the ration in one direction or the other?

We still have a few to go yet, but this year the bulls are out numbering the heifers. We had a set of twins, heifers but lost one so we are officially requesting membership into the "I hate twins club". We have never had one of our Piedmontese deliver twins before, don't care if we ever do again.