calving season finally over

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
The last calf was born this morning. The rest of the cows and heifers calved between March 1st and March 23rd. The last heifer waited until May 1st :???: This particular heifer was bred on the first day (first 20 minutes) of turning the bull in last summer. Evidently she didn't stick. Anyway I really like this heifer so I will give her another shot to breed back to my new bull.

The upshot is that I had NO calving problems :banana: No assisted births, all were 70 to 80 pounds, all were very active and are growing fast. I used this bull for two calving seasons with the same results both times :cboy: I hope my new bull gives me similar luck.

Hoss - That's what I like to hear! What kind of bull did you use and what are you replacing him with?

Farmer Z":imz20h9u said:
Hoss - That's what I like to hear! What kind of bull did you use and what are you replacing him with?

Farmer Z, I was using a red angus bull out of King Rob. Since I have allot of red in my cows (both red angus and red gene carrying black angus and baldies) I wanted try to get more color uniformity and so I have now went to a homo black Balancer bull out of B/R Destination 727-928. I am excited to see what the Gelbvieh influence will do on my next calf crop.

Gotta neighbor that runs a Gelbvieh with a mixed herd. Excellents calves...no birthing issues. Of course, he, like you, selects for that and other favorable traits. Hope you boys get plenty of rain this summer. We had more rain this winter and early spring than in the past several years. We're hoping that the drought cycle is ending in SE Mississippi. Y'all take care.

dont that make you happy calving season is over.now you can get them bred back.an relax till spring calving.

Farmer Z":xbiw29yk said:
Gotta neighbor that runs a Gelbvieh with a mixed herd. Excellents calves...no birthing issues. Of course, he, like you, selects for that and other favorable traits. Hope you boys get plenty of rain this summer. We had more rain this winter and early spring than in the past several years. We're hoping that the drought cycle is ending in SE Mississippi. Y'all take care.

Rain has come regular as of late. I hope to start cutting hay next week. If I get two good cuttings I should be set for winter.....unlike last year.

I'm right there with you, Hoss. Our last calf was born today and I couldn't be happier! A pretty little heifer from one of our best old cows. I just spied her having a nice colostrum lunch. Hooray, it's finally over (for now) :cboy: