Calving season begins

Help Support CattleToday:

That's a fresh baby calf did you wait until it was up on its feet or did you have to tear the placenta off to put that tag on :)
I don't have to record birth weights so I usually wait a few days or a week before I tag them. If they're on a lease place that doesn't have good facilities I wait even longer and work them when I bring them home for the winter.
Lol no we find it easier to tag them as soon as possible it seems they aren't as flighty. We don't record weight a lot of the time but we like to number them and know the sex. It helps identify who belongs to who as they grow and gives us good data as to how their mothers are doing. Its hard to tell who they are when their all black!

Good looking babies ! I fell and fractured a vertebrae Jan of 2020 . Use to catch and tag all our calves at birth . This is the first year I haven't tagged any . Wrestling is off the table this year , maybe next year ? Just looks so good to have them all tagged !
We've had to rope and dr a few in the field for pink eye, definitely not the method of choice! Its amazing how strong they can be at 30days or so old. Hopefully you will be healed up by then!

Here's another first calf heifer pair from a remote pasture, she had a heifer calf on 8/14/2021.
This picture is a couple hours after birth, momma is getting some cubes.

J+ Cattle

View attachment 8791
Update: I'm behind in my work as this calf is 8 months old now and needs to be weaned. Considering how dry it has been all winter and spring I think she has done a good job raising her first calf. I'm not happy with the Y-Tex tags that lose the black color on the numbers so quickly.

IMG_6963.jpgIMG_6961.jpg

Poor little thing, the cow/heifer that is.

Ken
Ken once I wean the calf she will put on some weight and look better, she has done a really good job considering the unusually dry conditions we have had, this is the first green grass in many months.

I am almost done calving. It is pretty tough to have them all come in as tight of a window as I would like when you are relying on a sale yard vet to get them all exactly right. But 85% in a little less than 30 days the vet and I are both guessing pretty good.

Ken once I wean the calf she will put on some weight and look better, she has done a really good job considering the unusually dry conditions we have had, this is the first green grass in many months.
She is fine J+, I have one like that, only small but just weaned her 1st calf at 327kg (heifer), almost taller than her. She bred back on the 1st AI round, a real machine, I love them like that.

Ken

Latest posts