Calving season begins

Help Support CattleToday:

How do you like your Musgrave Exclusive calves. I have been considering using some Musgrave bulls
I think they are looking pretty good WB. They are just coming up to the age where some are starting to look the part and the Exclusives seem to be the ones catching my eye. I'll get some photos over the next few days.

Ken

I think they are looking pretty good WB. They are just coming up to the age where some are starting to look the part and the Exclusives seem to be the ones catching my eye. I'll get some photos over the next few days.

Ken
Sounds good. I have heard a lot of positive things about calves produced by Musgrave bulls. There operation is not too far from where im located. All our AI calves are on the ground now just waiting on the natural service calves. It sure is a pleasure watching them grow.

WB nice looking cattle , is it just me or are your calves in the 60lb range ? Your cows are so big it makes the babies look small . Regardless they are awesome !

WB nice looking cattle , is it just me or are your calves in the 60lb range ? Your cows are so big it makes the babies look small . Regardless they are awesome !
Most are 65# to #75 and yes some of those ladies are on the short list do to size. Thank you we are very blessed.

Sounds good. I have heard a lot of positive things about calves produced by Musgrave bulls. There operation is not too far from where im located. All our AI calves are on the ground now just waiting on the natural service calves. It sure is a pleasure watching them grow.
I've not been to musgraves yet but I went to Tim Sievers who runs the same genetics on a smaller scale. Nice even cattle. I bought three bred heifers and a bull from Tim. He and Tyler musgrave are friends, Tim went with him last year to look at AI bulls. Tim said some bulls he seen are really good, some not, but none better than at musgraves, but he might be a little biased. However there's no doubt they breed for commercial success as well as beautiful cows.

Musgraves is on my list to visit. Probably 3-4drive for me.

BFE ....I would like to get over there myself one of these days. Probably about same distance for me.

Commercial first calf heifer that was bred to a registered Angus bull, she calved unassisted at 23 months of age. Her bull calf is less than a week old at this time and she seems to be caring for it well enough. She is the first one to calve in this pasture so far.

J+ Cattle

View attachment 8771
Nice looking pair! Looks like she will do you well for several years if she keeps producing like that.

WB I appreciate your comments but my stock isn't nearly to the level of quality that yours are but I'm slowly improving. Actually the jury is still out on if this pair gets to stay or not, I'll wait until everything calves out and then make the final decision to balance my numbers going into winter. I typically sell a few first calf pairs that are extras. You know the phrase, "keep the best and sell the rest".
If they don't calve unassisted, they go.
If they don't calve in a 90 day window, they go.
If they don't breed back on time, they go.
Bad udder, they go.

J+ Cattle

WB I appreciate your comments but my stock isn't nearly to the level of quality that yours are but I'm slowly improving. Actually the jury is still out on if this pair gets to stay or not, I'll wait until everything calves out and then make the final decision to balance my numbers going into winter. I typically sell a few first calf pairs that are extras. You know the phrase, "keep the best and sell the rest".
If they don't calve unassisted, they go.
If they don't calve in a 90 day window, they go.
If they don't breed back on time, they go.
Bad udder, they go.

J+ Cattle
It definitely takes a little time and we also are trying to improve with each calf crop. Sounds like you have a good culling process going. And that second picture looks like another nice heifer!

Tagged another one this morning. Only two left to calve and don't really know when to expect them. Think one early Nov the other maybe not till Feb. Those two cows are on the short list. This little bull calf is right at 60 days into our calving season. 20211026_142459.jpg

Good looking babies ! I fell and fractured a vertebrae Jan of 2020 . Use to catch and tag all our calves at birth . This is the first year I haven't tagged any . Wrestling is off the table this year , maybe next year ? Just looks so good to have them all tagged !

That's a fresh baby calf did you wait until it was up on its feet or did you have to tear the placenta off to put that tag on :)
I don't have to record birth weights so I usually wait a few days or a week before I tag them. If they're on a lease place that doesn't have good facilities I wait even longer and work them when I bring them home for the winter.

Latest posts