Calving season begins

Help Support CattleToday:

OP
WB Angus

WB Angus

Reaction score
That's a fresh baby calf did you wait until it was up on its feet or did you have to tear the placenta off to put that tag on :)
I don't have to record birth weights so I usually wait a few days or a week before I tag them. If they're on a lease place that doesn't have good facilities I wait even longer and work them when I bring them home for the winter.
Lol no we find it easier to tag them as soon as possible it seems they aren't as flighty. We don't record weight a lot of the time but we like to number them and know the sex. It helps identify who belongs to who as they grow and gives us good data as to how their mothers are doing. Its hard to tell who they are when their all black!

OP
WB Angus

WB Angus

Reaction score
Good looking babies ! I fell and fractured a vertebrae Jan of 2020 . Use to catch and tag all our calves at birth . This is the first year I haven’t tagged any . Wrestling is off the table this year , maybe next year ? Just looks so good to have them all tagged !
We've had to rope and dr a few in the field for pink eye, definitely not the method of choice! Its amazing how strong they can be at 30days or so old. Hopefully you will be healed up by then!

Latest posts