Calving Season 2011

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
The season is not supposed to start until the 21st but we had a heifer calve on the 10th, 3 weeks early and Lady Lisa calved yesterday .

First calf of the season . She is out of our clean up bull Maximus, a Moderator son. She was 76 lbs unassisted, built like a brick . Her dam is 1/2 Holstein X red balancer .
IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

Yummy, lunch time ;-)
IMG_3222.jpg

It is nice today but it was -20 when she was born.

The twins, unassisted heifers sired by Ozz Ideal Direction. These are Lady Lisa's (10 yr old) first set of twins , DOB Jan 17th 86 lbs and 74 lbs. It was -30 when they were born so they got to spend some time inside thawing out. Mom was very happy to have them back . :D
IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

Waiting for a couple of heifers and a couple of cows that I AI"d to calve any day now too, then we should be back on schedule.

HD,

Showing my ignorance here, but the wrap on their head is to prevent their ears from getting frostbitten? I'm guessing it's really cold up where you are and that's a big problem with newborns?

Looks funny as all get out!

cypressfarms":1od814ir said:
HD,

Showing my ignorance here, but the wrap on their head is to prevent their ears from getting frostbitten? I'm guessing it's really cold up where you are and that's a big problem with newborns?

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like she is in the process of putting on a doggy shirt.

Yeah buyers don't like frozen ears.
Go figure. It has nothing to do with the breeding or growth ability.

Nice calves there HD. :D :D
We don't start til March 9th. Milk cow is suppose to drop her calf at the end of next month.

Everyone gets toques for a couple of days after they are born in cold weather, like these 3 were Especially if mom is a heifer. New moms cannot seem to stop licking a new babes ears for the first couple of days, after that the novelty wears off. As far as boys, they don't need anything as they lay on their "boys" and keep them warm on the nice thick straw pack we have for them . Frost bite isn't an issue for us ,but freezing ears is ,only because moms like to lick them or they are born in between checks and have gotten cold.

I have thought about calving in June instead but it wouldn't be near as much fun.. :lol: :p

Supposed to be nice for a few days and may even reach the plus's .. kinda defects the reasons for winter calving though . :?

That first little heifer born got to spend the night in the house with me as she was premature and we got to -40 with the wind chill. I did not want to risk her getting chilled more than she had too ,thankfully mom was anxious to have her back again.

Randi,
Can't the buyers see the feet? Wouldn't the feet show signs? Or are the buyers just using that as an excuse to justify getting a calf cheaper? I raise mine out that have defects like bobbed tails and bad eyes etc. I haven't had any regrets doing that yet maybe I have just been lucky. Thoughts?

I've been told that a lot of times issues with frozen feet won't show up until later in life. Besides if you are a buyer would you really want to take a risk on calves that you know were exposed to freezing temps (ears) or would you pass and choose from all the other cattle running through the ring. Excuse or not there is a higher risk involved. I can't say that I like seeing a nice heavy calf get discounted on account of losing its ears but I can certainly understand the reasoning. All the more incentive to do what's necessary to keep the ears in good shape and it doesn't take much cold combined with wind to freeze em up solid.

A lot of times frozen feet won't show up til it gets cold again. Same as having frostbite. If it is minor, you won't lose anything, but you will be more susceptible to getting frost bitten again in the same spot again. Lots of time frozen/frost bitten feet will show up as misshapen/outgrown feet. Usually won't show up as a calf, but as they get older they grow more.

Frozen ears I have heard of but frozen feet :???: ..... I learn something new everyday.

These babies just helped get you into gear for the 21st, good luck with the rest of them.

Isomade":1ho934ms said:
cypressfarms":1ho934ms said:
HD,

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like she is in the process of putting on a doggy shirt.
I thought they looked like they had decided to become nuns. :)

Latest posts