Calving Record

Help Support CattleToday:

Randi

Reaction score
Here's what (more or less) I use at calving time to keep track of things. It's not my end record, but it keeps a pretty good running tally of what's born, any deaths, sorts them by groups or owners and then by pasture. I share it with my husband, and anyone helping us calve cows out, so we can keep things more up to date. This is the first year I've sorted by pasture, and I think it will make it much easier when moving pastures, wondering where a certain cow is, or treating/vaccinating a group as I will have a hard # to look at for supplies. Also, I will be able to download it and work it into my Herd record.

This is just a sample of the record, but I think it is fully workable, and if anyone is interested in it they can play around with it. It is on Google Sheets.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jRlyHO6Z80R0DXINCKT1YVPCa52Nq7F5ZaMxdVV2rVQ/edit?usp=sharing

I keep a calving BOOK, but I also have "CalfBook" on my phone. It is by Edge. Love it. Keep all my breeding, calving & semen inventory in 1 place. Automatically sincs with my nephews phone and "into the cloud". You can have as many phones linked up as you want. Pay a yearly fee ($25?)

We have a notebook with all AI/breeding dates- calving dates, calf gender, tag number, weight. The first note written was in 2007. Can track down all breedings back to that year. Have my personal notebook for all AI work, bulls selection, calving records too. And have a "database" on Internet where all cattle are put there and in one animals page I can see all cow's calvings, bw, each calves growth, also notes on their health, breeding/AI date, expected calving date. Everything has to be inserted by you, but later it's very easy to use. A very handy thing.
http://gyvis.gmc.lt/animal.php?aid=LT000005762296

I have very extensive records. I've looked into a lot of the online and app versions, and have never been satisfied with what is offered. So....I make my own. Since we run cattle on so many pastures, I have a pretty big need for knowing how many cows are at each pasture, and I like to know who. So the Calving record from my OP, ties into another spreadsheet that makes it easy for me to keep a real time tally of which cattle are where. It won't keep track of where they were, but that's fine with me.

Here's my individual cow record

50563440_10216035415571793_660497078849372160_o.jpg

lithuanian farmer said:
We have a notebook with all AI/breeding dates- calving dates, calf gender, tag number, weight. The first note written was in 2007. Can track down all breedings back to that year. Have my personal notebook for all AI work, bulls selection, calving records too. And have a "database" on Internet where all cattle are put there and in one animals page I can see all cow's calvings, bw, each calves growth, also notes on their health, breeding/AI date, expected calving date. Everything has to be inserted by you, but later it's very easy to use. A very handy thing.

I don't know how you can track anything, all looks foreign to me! :hide:

Named'em Tamed'em said:
lithuanian farmer said:

If you mean language, then it's my native language. :)

lithuanian farmer said:
Named'em Tamed'em said:
lithuanian farmer said:

If you mean language, then it's my native language. :)

yes, bad joke! Thanks for your posts, I love the photos!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I keep a calving BOOK, but I also have "CalfBook" on my phone. It is by Edge. Love it. Keep all my breeding, calving & semen inventory in 1 place. Automatically sincs with my nephews phone and "into the cloud". You can have as many phones linked up as you want. Pay a yearly fee ($25?)

Have you had issues with it not syncing correctly? We just downloaded it and have been inputting data like crazy. Have to keep uninstalling the app and reloading it to get the right cow list. Just entered in replacement heifers in the calving data for 2018, and on the phones now all the mothers are wrong. But it's right on the website. Wife and I are debating if we should commit to this.

When I first got it, it had some glitches, but has been working well.
I love that when I post something, it goes on nephews' phone.

This idea is what is so appealing to us as well. It appears to be a nice simple system. I have contacted them, and they are very helpful, although they seem to think the problem is with all four of our devices. The person I talked to is going to talk to the programmers on Monday.

When I first got it, it had some glitches, but has been working well.
I love that when I post something, it goes on nephews' phone.

Calfbook seem to be working perfectly since Monday morning. Took until today to figure out why in the calving report there was a cow in the calf column. My wife figured out this morning that if she changed the freemartin to a normal heifer then the problem was solved. So I guess because the report doesn't have a freemartin category they call it a cow? Have you had this? Anyway, not a big deal now that I know what it is all about.
Sure liking the program so far.

We have a calving book in the tagging kit and i also have an Excel Spreadsheet set with formulas to calculate stats automatically, carry calf information to a weaning page where i reorganize them in numerical order for simplicity when we work em, each pasture has a page so things are easy to find, and notes all over. Each year gets printed and put in a binder. I track which calves are sold to who, carcass grading, and now calculating WDOA since we bought a scale.

Here's a sample of my breeding date calculator.. Since there's nothing due at the moment, it's a poor example, but I have conditional formatting on several columns so that between 18-22 days after a heat, a cell lights up telling me I should watch that animal to come back into heat again, and then 3 different colors for when they're getting close to calving, Yellow from about 275-282 days, green from 283-290, and red from 290-300.

I also have 1 sheet with every animal ever born in one place, where I can calculate total calves from a cow, average lifespans, etc, and one sheet for each year

I've hidden a whole lot of columns here.. I bold the name of any animal that has offspring in the herd, highlight the bulls.. each animal has a unique number relating to when it was born (or purchased) so I can sort easily

Latest posts