calving question

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what is the time frame for a cow to start cycling again after she gives birth..I have heard its best to wait for 45 days just to make sure she is cleaned out and back on the road to recovery. My question is more so how soon does she actually cycle or can it be changed by being around other cows who maybe cycling also...I have been told they can all start to cycle around the same time if put together..I was more or less needing a time frame if we have her seperated right from the herd right now...except the bull is in the same pasture with her and one other pregnant heifer..Thanks to all for your time and expertice....{spelling?}

They can, operative word being can, start cycling within 2 weeks or so. The odds of them starting that soon are pretty thin, the odds of them cycling and settling in less then 30 days or so aren;t all that high either. The uterus has to get back into shape to carry a pregnancy and that takes a cople of weeks to a month. Now with all of that, she could settle at 2 weeks and maintain the pregnancy. It's another of those "it depends" sort of deals.

dun

They can, operative word being can, start cycling within 2 weeks or so. The odds of them starting that soon are pretty thin, the odds of them cycling and settling in less then 30 days or so aren;t all that high either. The uterus has to get back into shape to carry a pregnancy and that takes a cople of weeks to a month. Now with all of that, she could settle at 2 weeks and maintain the pregnancy. It's another of those "it depends" sort of deals.

dun

So if you leave you're bull in year round does it affect the long term health of you're cows?

RAWCJW":1t3qt87b said:
So if you leave you're bull in year round does it affect the long term health of you're cows?

I don;t think it would, but don;t know for sure. A while back we bred all of our cows on their first heats following calving so we could move them up. About 1/2 or less settled, the majority carried the pregnancy but a few slipped the calf and came back into heat 2 months later. At least we assumed they settled and later slipped it. My main concern would be for the calves welfare when they're still really small and the bull is trying to mount while the calf may be trying to nurse. But I worry about stuff like that. I know there are people that run the bulls 24/7/365 so obviously it can be done.

dun

I don't think it will affect the long term health of your herd, but from my experience ( I also moved my calving season forward) they may settle as soon as 17 days after calving, but if you try to keep this up for a few years the cows tend to take a break after two years or so and would not breed back for 3 or 4 months and then you will be back to square one.

We have always left our bulls with the cows. I don't think it has affected their health at all. I have a 15 yr old all the way down to 15 month old with the bull. About the only time we separate them is before they calf. Most of our cows are bred back within 30 days. We had a calf borned the 29th of oct.the cow is coming in heat as of today. I also have several cows that calved in jan,feb. that are due the end of this month or dec.. I keep a close eye on breeding times. We have never had a problem with the our bull hurting a calf during "his" time

My question is along the same lines except my cow calfed on Oct 9 and has already come back in cycle last week. I'am thinking about breeding her back the next time she comes back in heat. We use artificial insemination instead of natural. My question is when I get ready to take her to the vet for breeding, do I have to seperate the calf from her for a few days while she is being AI'd? Thanks for your help in advance.

dovekill":2ze9tc77 said:
My question is along the same lines except my cow calfed on Oct 9 and has already come back in cycle last week. I'am thinking about breeding her back the next time she comes back in heat. We use artificial insemination instead of natural. My question is when I get ready to take her to the vet for breeding, do I have to seperate the calf from her for a few days while she is being AI'd? Thanks for your help in advance.

Just leave them together

dun

I have always left my bulls with the herd. Have not had any problems at all. I can almost time my cows having the next calf a full year from the last one. (give or take a few weeks)

We put one of our 4 bulls in with "his" next breeding group. Leave them together until cow about to calve, then put cow in "maternity pen". Then, move cow/calf in with some other mamas/babies until we decide what bull to breed her to next.

When we take in one or more cows for "pasture breeding" to one of our bulls for a customer, we tell the customer to leave his/her cow(s) with us for minimum of 45 days, preferably 60 days to ensure she's with our bull for 2 heat cycles minimum...hasn't failed yet.

Latest posts