Calving Problems This Year?

Help Support CattleToday:

edb130

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I seem to be having bad luck this year with calving. Didn't know if anybody had any ideas as to cause or if it's just one of those years. Today my daughters registered heifer dropped her calf and my mother and I were there within minutes and it was dead. Hair was extremely short and it looked extremely small. Heifer was 2yrs + and weighs about 1300lbs calf was full term, but didn't look just right. Week ago 2nd calf heifer dropped a calf that we had to bottle feed because it was to weak to get up. Calf is starting to take off pretty good now. About a month ago had a cow who had calf die inside of her and rot. Called vet and nothing could be done, cow died. One other heifer calved and calf ended up dying. I've had 7 other calves and they are all doing great. The only common theme is new bull, but I'm not sure if this is a genetic thing or something else. Mineral program and everything else is the same as last year and I didn't lose a calf.

This is the bull
Scotch.jpg

What is your hay like? How is the nutrition? Are the poop patties in a patty form or are they mounded?
How is your vaccination program?
Did you get one of the dead calves posted to see the problem?

Weak calves and dead calves can be caused by poor nutrition. The hay or grass might look great, but inside nothing.
Weak and dead calves can also be a sign of disease or a hay mold problem or many other things. A post of the dead calf and the placenta is the best answer...and a feed test of the hay.

Good luck
RR

edb130":1fy8p44c said:
The only common theme is new bull, but I'm not sure if this is a genetic thing or something else.

Is it possible the bull may have an STD? Was he a virgin bull prior to entering your herd?

Katherine

RR
that was the first thing I thought was what condition is the hay they are feeding?

I am in the same area as EDB and I know for a fact alot of the hay that was baled this yr was junk there was alot of hay that got wet several times between cutting and baling and mold has been a big issue

also if the hayfields were not fertilized because of high priced fert this yr with all the rain we had alot of the hay has very little nutritional value although it may look fine

Manure is in patty form, I should have had the hay tested, didn't think about that. Could be lacking nutrition but cattle look like their in great condition. Did not have a calf post mortem. Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Forgot Cattle are vaccinated twice yearly by vet.

As for bull he was a virgin bull.

edb130":17b1cfem said:
Manure is in patty form, I should have had the hay tested, didn't think about that. Could be lacking nutrition but cattle look like their in great condition. Did not have a calf post mortem. Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Forgot Cattle are vaccinated twice yearly by vet.

As for bull he was a virgin bull.

What are they vaccinated for? BVD could be causing the problems you are having.

edb130":16zfy4rt said:
randilliana, they are vaccinated for blackleg, IBR, BVD, & PI3.

Well, that should cover that then. Although vaccines have been known to fail. Pretty uncommon though.

Would be very strange if it were the bull, unless it is genetic. If you lose another, the best thing you could do is to get it to the vet and have it posted.

Could be the feed, but if they are in good condition, and you were feeding free choice mineral, probably not. If they were thin that would point to the feed (a 1300 lb 2 year old should be in darn good condition).

Not all diseases that cause late term abortions/weak or dead calves are STD's. If this were my herd, and I didn't have a fresh dead calf(along with the placenta) to submit for testing, I would be pulling a blood sample from that bull and have it tested for anything and everything the vet and I could think of. 4 problem calves in roughly a month is a bit much, especially since there were apparently no problems prior to this bull being introduced to the herd.

from talking to the nutrtionist poop patties can give you insight into the cows nutrtion.
a normal patty should not mound it's a patty.
a patty that is consistent throughout the herd that is like ...hmm say a pile, mouned is consistent with a high fibre diet. We had poor hay quality. The feed tests came back where the TDN and fibre were relatively close and not great protien especially for the cold winter we had. From what the people on this forum and the nutrtionist said, that equates cereal straw. Basically a filler. So we had to add barley to the ration in hopes of putting some pounds and fat on the cows and give them energy to get through the nasty winter.

Might want to add lepto, vibrio and trich vaccines in there to the mix. Especially the bulls.

edb130":1hdtlh84 said:
The only common theme is new bull,
Just my opinion, but if it were me, I wouldn't think twice about getting rid of him, FAST. Too bad, good looking bull. But sometimes, looks aint everything. You can speculate all you want as to what the problem might be, but I wouldnt take the chance again on the "only common theme". I wish you good luck on finding the problem, but I'm betting you won't.

Latest posts