calving percentage

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazyacre

Reaction score
I am not sure that calving percentage is the proper term that I am looking for but what I want is to know what is the norm/acceptable range for percentage of healthy calves from a herd of mommas. In calculations, where do you figure calves that were born but died a couple of days later? And a follow up question....What are the best ways to improve that percentage?

You should expect all of them to raise a calf. Knowing in the back of your mind you will lose one now and then. Also you may have a cow that comes up short and doesn't breed back as fast as she should. As far as improving on your sucess I'd say that cull all the trouble makers will greatly improve your odds. I won't hold it against a cow if she loses one that was no fault of her own. ( dog or yote got it in brush ) If she loses one and it was her fault (won't let calf sulk ) shes gone.

Bama":2zjek86o said:
You should expect all of them to raise a calf. Knowing in the back of your mind you will lose one now and then. Also you may have a cow that comes up short and doesn't breed back as fast as she should. As far as improving on your sucess I'd say that cull all the trouble makers will greatly improve your odds. I won't hold it against a cow if she loses one that was no fault of her own. ( dog or yote got it in brush ) If she loses one and it was her fault (won't let calf sulk ) shes gone.

I agree Bama on culling and it doesn't take much for me to cull.
But you will all ways loose a few for some reason.

I have net wire around the whole place. That cuts down on places for yotes and dogs to get in . They still dig and come in at water crossings but it seems to help. I lost a couple last year due to wet damp cold weather I had to blame those on myself. I should have had them in the heifer birthing pens. Bottom line is your gonna loose a few ever now and then. Some of them you just can't explain why.

We had a a four year old cow that just left her calf in the back pasture because the horseflies were so bad. She happened to have it way in the back where they are the worst and them came back alone. We found him by chance and brought them up to the barn. Is that normal or would you consider getting rid of that cow?

We don't know exactly, but it was long enough that we almost lost the calf. Had to bottle feed twice to get it to stand up and then took back to the mama.

my guess is that the calf was weak to begin with or not all there.
assuming she has raised calves before,and she should have since shes 4, she would most likely return if she was just hiding the calf or letting it rest. she probably couldnt get it to travel with her and left to rejoin the herd. she may have been returning undetected (like at night or something) and you just didnt notice. if it was too weak to stand, i would suspect problems with the calf lead the cow to abandon it assuming she mothered her others well.

If you will put some pour-on dewormer on your cows it will keep the flies away for a good while.

Beefy":3eezkpsc said:
If you will put some pour-on dewormer on your cows it will keep the flies away for a good while.

What pour on have you found that will work for horseflys?

dun

Out of my nine heifers that just calved I only lost one. It appeared healthy but her eyes had not formed. The cow had all but given up on her. We could have probably bottle fed her and kept her going but I explained all that in a previous post. I'm thinking to keep the heifers and sell the steers. It's something I enjoy and gives my horses purpose.

I believe I read somewhere the other day that the national average is around 83%. I think that was taking in to account aborted calves all the way up to weaning time. Our herd has been running about 86% the last couple of years, but was previously lower when we were not using free choice minerals and vaccinating cows bi-yearly.

El_Putzo":35pz1wh0 said:
I believe I read somewhere the other day that the national average is around 83%. I think that was taking in to account aborted calves all the way up to weaning time. Our herd has been running about 86% the last couple of years, but was previously lower when we were not using free choice minerals and vaccinating cows bi-yearly.

I think that 83% is of cows exposed.

dun

I think you are correct. I'm trying to remember where I read that. If I find it I'll try to copy and paste to clarify.

Latest posts