Calving issues

Help Support CattleToday:

timntamwhit

Reaction score
I've had 2 calves born dead, 1 to a cow that has already had 1 calf and the other ones first calf. Both calves had low birth weight 1 weighed 45 lbs. and the other 30 lbs., neither cow showed any problems with the births. The bull used on these cows has sired calves for 2 years now so there shouldn't be an issue with the bull. This is the first year I've had this problem or anything like this so any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

What is their expected calving date or window?

Based on those calf sizes I would think that you mean the cows are aborting. If they are doing it at one time they might have been tripped off by bad feed, illness, or stress event so you might want to keep an eye out for any of those. Otherwise sometimes it just happens but I would keep an eye on it and call a vet if it continues.

Good luck

There is so many different problems that causes abortions and or premmy calves and if you have any more I sure would get a vet on the payroll. These cattle are worth to much money to lose them before due time. Here at this time there is a bad ice problem and some of the old girls are traveling 2- 3 miles a day to feed and water,feet are sore and pretty rough country so we'll get some slinks and probably won't know how many till spring. Just another way mother nature helps us run our business.

Pestivirus is always worth considering and checking out for. If cow is infected just outside the window for a PI you can get some very small and weak weedy little calves. I have had one like this that could walk under the bellies of the other calves. Many like that won't survive the birthing process.
The good news is, while you may have a smash one year, everything will be exposed to it and have good immunity the following year in a small herd.
Ken

Latest posts