Calving interval

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Cow due on or about 8/12 calved &/1, cleaned but didn;t have any milk. Tiny calf but healthy. This morning 7/6 went out to get the cows and there she stood, hadn't cleaned but was feeding a new born calf about the size of the first one. Now thats will screw up a 12 month calving interval

AAI date and she hadn;t been with a bull. I think she was still due in august and the twin deal screwed that up

First calf is in the calf hutches and doing fine. The cow is now milking good and has cleaned. Sorry, these are Holsteins at the dairy. I didn;t ask the gender so don;t know if they are mixed or not. But with seperae placentas, theoretically they shoudl be fine no matter if tey're mixed gender ot not.

dun":t8mj9ev4 said:
First calf is in the calf hutches and doing fine. The cow is now milking good and has cleaned. Sorry, these are Holsteins at the dairy. I didn;t ask the gender so don;t know if they are mixed or not. But with seperae placentas, theoretically they shoudl be fine no matter if tey're mixed gender ot not.

Seperate placentas DOES NOT mean that a heifer will be safe from being a freemartin if her twin was a bull.

xbred":wkxz4av3 said:
twins can be that far off schedule?

I have had a set of twins out of an old cow last year that was three weeks early. Cow was AI-ed, no other bull exposure, she never even looked bigger than normal.

Was yacking with the vet yesterday eening and the AB hasn;t changed a bit. Still only the small piece exposed. If she hasn't dropped it by this evening he thinks that it may be all balled up in there. Deached just balleed up so it can;t come out. The delivery was a little strange in as much she never showed a waer bag. The first and only thing was the calfand it was totally exposed as it was born with no sack covering her.
It would be kind of funny if the calfs tail did break off ad is laying in there wwith all of he other goodies.
Time will tell. I just get peculiar thoughs at times.

all the twins that we've had (not many) that i can recall came a least 2 weeks early and more often closer to a month. out of cows i would never expect to have twins.

are you saying that the first calf was born on 7/1 and the second calf ws born 7/6? 5 days later? or you just found the second calf five days later? just curious?

How unusual. I've never heard of this happening, and wouldn't believe it from just anyone. Does this mean you're expecting to find another one on 7/11?

Good luck
Cuz

xbred":3auk34ly said:
are you saying that the first calf was born on 7/1 and the second calf ws born 7/6? 5 days later? or you just found the second calf five days later? just curious?

Since the second calf was still wet and the cow had just passed a second AB it's a pretty good bet they were born that far apart. If I remmeber I'll go over and check on the gender and see if they both lived.
I'm curious what the vets have seen as the longest time between twins being born. I've heard of a week between, but that was a case of a friend of a neighbors brothers uncles cow kind of deal

Latest posts