Calving in Alberta

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
Well we had 2 days of spring and now back to winter had 6in of snow over the last two days lovely weather for calving scours and pnenomia will be expected after this had to bring a few in to warm up and get a warm drink but these 2 were born during warm part of day and should be ok. Lots of work keeping everything healthy in this stuff.

tamarack":7nq6uxwy said:
Well we had 2 days of spring and now back to winter had 6in of snow over the last two days lovely weather for calving scours and pnenomia will be expected after this had to bring a few in to warm up and get a warm drink but these 2 were born during warm part of day and should be ok. Lots of work keeping everything healthy in this stuff.

I can't imagine such a long winter. Good luck to ya!!

What we've had down here isn't anything like 6" of snow, but we had a couple nice days, but it's been cold as a witch's tit around here the last couple days, REALLY windy, and a drizzly cold... but we've been getting it from the south. The calves look nice, hopefully they all stay healthy for you :)

Oh man last Friday we got 8" of snow with 30 mm of rain to boot and hasn't stopped drizzling windy cold since. I'm on wet sand and corrals are bad. I have punched out 4 of the 5 gateways to the corrals and pretty much forced to feed in the pasture plus they are calling for snow/rain till next weekend here. Not sure how much more my cows tractor and I can take of this s*@t!!!

We had a really nice day here today too... T shirt weather if you weren't in the shade, some big puffy clouds going by... Hope it stays this way a while now!

Your climate seems to be similar to ours. How far north your place is? Do you have dry summers? Do you grow grains? what grasses and legumes do you use at pastures and for hay?

From where I live its north western Alberta about 1 hr drive to BC and 4 hr to NWT the summers are fairly wet and we grow all major grains except corn and pastures are mostly tame grasses timothy,brome,crested wheat grass and hay is mostly alfalfa grass mix.We have a long growing season because of the long hours of daylight almost 24 hrs in june/july gets pretty hot in summers +30 sometimes more, last few years have been wet but had a bad drought for a few years before and the lakes and dugouts are still low but are shaping up to fill this year so far. Most of the land was covered in trees and had to be brushed to make crop land it was mainly homestead land which means the govt. would give you land cheap if you would make improvements had to clear 40 ac a year to qualify lots got their land one or two generations back from me. They just opened up some more homestead last year about 100 mi north of me.

tamarack":37i7balg said:
From where I live its north western Alberta about 1 hr drive to BC and 4 hr to NWT the summers are fairly wet and we grow all major grains except corn and pastures are mostly tame grasses timothy,brome,crested wheat grass and hay is mostly alfalfa grass mix.We have a long growing season because of the long hours of daylight almost 24 hrs in june/july gets pretty hot in summers +30 sometimes more, last few years have been wet but had a bad drought for a few years before and the lakes and dugouts are still low but are shaping up to fill this year so far. Most of the land was covered in trees and had to be brushed to make crop land it was mainly homestead land which means the govt. would give you land cheap if you would make improvements had to clear 40 ac a year to qualify lots got their land one or two generations back from me. They just opened up some more homestead last year about 100 mi north of me.

Thanks, Sounds familiar. We don't have it warm, but the daylight is 24 hours in the summers. Winters with out the sun feels toooo looong.

I'm starting to use alfalfa in my hay mix and a bit new to this. what variety do you use? our winters are cold (-30c), I've been told that Canadian varieties will produce good yields here.

All of you folks in that climate are amazing! I can't even imagine 24hrs. Of daylight! Or that much snow! I find it so interesting to hear and see how all of you ranch compared to us.
All I can say is you are tuff! :D
Thanks for sharing.

WE have alfalfa variety for the areas we are in I have seeded Peace,Beaver, Algonquin,all with good luck. Lately I have started to mix a variety of three kinds a tap root, creeping root ,and a multi-foliet with good yield and long life. Some farmers have good luck with the yellow blossom Siberian variety it has long life but lacks yield it is a good one to mix with grass for grazing.

Do you have a good source of Algonquin alfalfa seed? untreated is a must, innoculated is optional... i'm paying $240/25kg here. I'm good for this year, but I'd certainly like to find more affordable seed for the future.

BrangusCowgirl.. he's not that tough.. Just think.. in the winter is night time ALL the time.. what's he gonna do? :)

I haven't looked for Algonquin for awhile used my last bag last year and seeded a newer variety will see what it does this year cant remember the name at this time but will look it up later think it cost 175$ a 25kg bag. And with all dark and cold in winter you get real good at playing tidillywinks. :lol:

Well, that's already $50 bucks a bag less, with an allowance for shipping.

As for games, I was thinking more along the lines of hide the sausage :O *snickers*... I heard most people born up north are born in september!

Latest posts