Calving Ease

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Out of about 56 Longhorn calves we've sired (not counting ones that came with dams we purchased or had already been bred by previous owner) since 2002 we have had 100% un-assisted calving rates. And, with our own sires we have a 59% heifer record. With our bull calves, besides one we put in freezer each year, all have readily sold to either LH breeders or commercial cattle people. The bulls we have sold to commercial producers for cross-breeding have sired calves that have not had to be pulled. Something to think about... ;-)

Of our own breeding the only calves we've pulled other then malpresentaons were all from one bull that was supposed to be a calving ease bull. Even had to pull calves out of cows. Big square headed square shouldered beasts. Pulled three that year and would have pulled for but a heifer dropped a 100 plus bull calf with no problems.
Doesn;t matter if they've been Red Angus, Simmenthal or Polled Hereford bulls, we don;t expect to have to pull calves.

dun

Running Arrow Bill":2w9kmtvm said:
Out of about 56 Longhorn calves we've sired (not counting ones that came with dams we purchased or had already been bred by previous owner) since 2002 we have had 100% un-assisted calving rates. And, with our own sires we have a 59% heifer record. With our bull calves, besides one we put in freezer each year, all have readily sold to either LH breeders or commercial cattle people. The bulls we have sold to commercial producers for cross-breeding have sired calves that have not had to be pulled. Something to think about... ;-)

That's a great ratio ..... do you believe in jinxing yourself? :D

Alan

cowboyup216":3pihy850 said:
Back when was using salers bulls never had to pull one calf. Gelbvieh bulls same deal have never had to pull a calf.

What breed of bulls do you use now? And why?

sorry, I misunderstood, I though back when you used salers and gelbvieh you never had to pull a calf, but now you use different bulls and do have a few pulls.

cowboyup216":3v0pv7xe said:
Gelbvieh, and balancer Calving ease and good growth Every now and then Ill ai to an angus bull to make some more balancers. Back when I was a kid I remember pulling 2-3 hereford calves a year. We used a simmental bull one year on the herefords and pulled 27 of 30 that were bred to him. Only had to pull the occasional beefmaster sired calf. We used a shorthorn once to and more of the same like the simmental 30 out of 30 we had to pull and the calves were all over 100 pounds. That was waaaaaaaaaay back before they had epds lol. The shorthorn and simmental killed a couple of those cows also. Been skeert of simmentals and shorthorns ever since.
no reason to be afraid of simmental nowadays some of my easiest calves born were simm sired

Alan":31oxzr92 said:
Running Arrow Bill":31oxzr92 said:

That's a great ratio ..... do you believe in jinxing yourself? :D

Alan

No...not afraid...lol. Bottomline is quality genetics, quality nutrition, and of course the historic calving ease of Longhorns....

Running Arrow Bill":1wy3ip7a said:

RAB - why wouldn't you write about something I would not expect?

As you know I have used LH on commercial animals - great way to start heifers and good for the cow too.

I figure they have a place in lots of commercial herd - unfortunately most folks who bad mouth them have never even used them.

Bez>

One of my Longhorn X's

101_1954.jpg

Pic taken at 9 mos.

The calf has a look of "you want me to set these post".

Good looking calf,
Alan

She could probably do it to Alan. I had to wean her at 3 mos. cause she was draggin her mama down so bad.

We made an attempt to halter break her for my son to show in 4-H, but the stubborn thang refused to be broke! Might have somethin to do with the Char in her. :shock:

Now ya'll char folks don't start sendin me hate mail, it was a joke. :p

Running Arrow Bill":281rnmic said:

I just want to be sure I understand what your saying . That ever bull you raise is herd sire quality? No culls ?

WORANCH":1g2icft7 said:
Running Arrow Bill":1g2icft7 said:

I just want to be sure I understand what your saying . That ever bull you raise is herd sire quality? No culls ?

While I would never presume to answer a question directed at Bill, I will say this.

Knowing the quality of Bill's sires along with their bloodlines, I'm sure, he has a very high percentage of LH breeders interested in his stock. Add that to the number of commercial breeders, that simply want a LH bull to put on first calf heifers, (no matter the breed, as they cross really well.) I'm fairly certain he doesn't have a large number of culls.

Latest posts