Calving ease my ass........

Help Support CattleToday:

Since we are on the subject of CE has anyone ever used a South Devon on Angus heifers? Angus, Hereford, Sim, Char, around me, so don't have any experience with them.

My number 1 cow was bred to a mini dexter bull as a heifer. Buddy said I was gonna laugh when the calf came. He throws 40 pounders.

Joke was on him.

Every calf she throws, regardless of what shes bred to, is big.
That first calf was the smallest shes ever thrown tho. Still 80 plus... lol

@ismith
Breed that one to an elephant for her next one and sleep all night long now...
😂

By doing an internet search using your description, I believe I identified the bull you used as a Shorthorn by the name of Waukura Cash. He does not seem to have had enough proof for much accuracy, but his Birth weight EPD is shown as -.2. If I convert that to an Angus BW epd using MARC's across breed table, he would be +3.2, if he were he an Angus bull. That would have put him in the top 10% of the Angus breed for heavy birth weights. Definitely not a heifer bull. If you bred him to a cow that was not Shorthorn, he also likely received the benefit of hybrid vigor, meaning even more birth weight. Shorthorns are probably a poor choice for heifers, if this is representative of the breed. I'll bet he will grow like a weed and you'll be happy with him from now on. I hope your heifer recovers quickly.

Since we are on the subject of CE has anyone ever used a South Devon on Angus heifers? Angus, Hereford, Sim, Char, around me, so don't have any experience with them.
I don't know anything about South Devons. Just my opinion for what it's worth, which ain't much, is that the breeds that less numerous, typically don't have the amounts of information on them that more populous breeds have available. Even with the heavily used mainstream breeds with EPD's and information behind them, there can still be quite a variation and unpredictability, so that would concern me even more so with breeds that are less commonly used. I'm more comfortable with a proven CE Angus bull or at least one with CE genetics if using a bull instead of AI.

By doing an internet search using your description, I believe I identified the bull you used as a Shorthorn by the name of Waukura Cash. He does not seem to have had enough proof for much accuracy, but his Birth weight EPD is shown as -.2. If I convert that to an Angus BW epd using MARC's across breed table, he would be +3.2, if he were he an Angus bull. That would have put him in the top 10% of the Angus breed for heavy birth weights. Definitely not a heifer bull. If you bred him to a cow that was not Shorthorn, he also likely received the benefit of hybrid vigor, meaning even more birth weight. Shorthorns are probably a poor choice for heifers, if this is representative of the breed. I'll bet he will grow like a weed and you'll be happy with him from now on. I hope your heifer recovers quickly.
He's actually listed elsewhere as having a -2.3 BW epd. That's in the top 5% for calving ease. I guess now we know why there has only ever been one of his calves registered, and with no BW listed.

My number 1 cow was bred to a mini dexter bull as a heifer. Buddy said I was gonna laugh when the calf came. He throws 40 pounders.

Joke was on him.

Every calf she throws, regardless of what shes bred to, is big.
That first calf was the smallest shes ever thrown tho. Still 80 plus... lol

@ismith
Breed that one to an elephant for her next one and sleep all night long now...
😂
My buddy commented that he has a few old cows that could handle a 100 lb calf no problem. We shall see.......

I don't know anything about South Devons. Just my opinion for what it's worth, which ain't much, is that the breeds that less numerous, typically don't have the amounts of information on them that more populous breeds have available. Even with the heavily used mainstream breeds with EPD's and information behind them, there can still be quite a variation and unpredictability, so that would concern me even more so with breeds that are less commonly used. I'm more comfortable with a proven CE Angus bull or at least one with CE genetics if using a bull instead of AI.
Only reason I asked is I got a flyer a while back from a breeder in Nebraska. Before that I had never ran across the breed, so just curious thinking maybe the breed was more popular other places kinda like Brahma.

Question? I've worked several yrs to produce a certain breed. Got my first heifer and is a prize. Also found now at 12 and half months old she is 7 months bred. A semi/Charolais bull too. I only use on 3rd calf cows weighing 1200 or more. Do not want to lose her. Any suggestions?

"Use **** **** on heifers with peace of mind, keeping daughters as replacements and generating big profits on his high growth male progeny as bulls or steers."

101 lb calf out of a first calf heifer, hard pull and luckily I've been able to get the calf to nurse on mom who cant stand up. It has been a long weekend.

Question? I've worked several yrs to produce a certain breed. Got my first heifer and is a prize. Also found now at 12 and half months old she is 7 months bred. A semi/Charolais bull too. I only use on 3rd calf cows weighing 1200 or more. Do not want to lose her. Any suggestions?
you could give her a shot of dex/lute and abort her, or wait a bit and when she's getting a bit bagged up and you figure you'll have a viable calf, you could give a shot of dex and induce a little ahead of time.. .whether you'd want her to raise it, well, it would retard her growth for sure

What is does the heifer weight now? I've only had one that got missed with Lute when doing bangs vaccinations. Talked with vet when things got close, so he was ready. Ended up having to do a cecerain to save the heifer, lost the calf. Hope your luck is better than mine, but I'd keep the Vet at the ready.

Sounds like you need to buy your bulls elsewhere.

My angus bull out of Beral of Wye is Has a CED of +16 (top 1% of breed).

He got in and bred 4, 9 mo old heifers. All 4 calved with no assistance, had great vigor in calves, weaned really nice calves, and bred back first cycle.

Sounds like you need to buy your bulls elsewhere.

My angus bull out of Beral of Wye is Has a CED of +16 (top 1% of breed).

He got in and bred 4, 9 mo old heifers. All 4 calved with no assistance, had great vigor in calves, weaned really nice calves, and bred back first cycle.
The problem is the heifer in question is only 12.5 months old and is already 7 months along. Your heifers were 9months old when bred so would be 18-19 months old when calving, not as big an issue as they are bigger and more mature at that age. Even a CE bull can cause issues with a small fully undeveloped heifer. Hopefully it will calve unassisted and be able to mother it, only time will tell.

you could give her a shot of dex/lute and abort her, or wait a bit and when she's getting a bit bagged up and you figure you'll have a viable calf, you could give a shot of dex and induce a little ahead of time.. .whether you'd want her to raise it, well, it would retard her growth for sure
I wouldn't recommend inducing a heifer that far along; the calf will still be big enough to tear her up and cause problems, especially because they don't always dilate as well as they would for a natural calving. I'd recommend having the vet look her over when she's bagged up; they should be able to feel whether or not the calf has a chance at natural delivery or if you should just induce and schedule a c-section.

I wouldn't recommend inducing a heifer that far along; the calf will still be big enough to tear her up and cause problems, especially because they don't always dilate as well as they would for a natural calving. I'd recommend having the vet look her over when she's bagged up; they should be able to feel whether or not the calf has a chance at natural delivery or if you should just induce and schedule a c-section.
Sure, as long as you're paying the minimum $500 to get a vet out here.. last time it was $1000... I don't know how it is for the OP though.
At 7 months I don't think the calf would be over 40-50 lbs which shouldn't be an issue

Latest posts