• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

calving ease combos

A

Anonymous

As a "part-timer", calving ease is very high on my priority list. To achieve this, without sacrificing too much in the way of lbs of calf weaned, what do you guys think about a Simmental based cow herd bred to performance-type Angus bulls? I know this is a complete reversal of what many do, but I am willing to feed a little more hay and stock the cows a little lighter to sleep easier during calving season. I'm in Iowa, so we usually have lush pastures and a lot of hay to be had.

Right now, my cows are Simmi/Angus and a few Simmi/Charolais cross and straight Simmis.

Any input, suggestions, etc appreciated.

dun

Reaction score
If you go with AI there are tons of the funny colored (vlack) angus bulls that give you both calving ease and growth/carcass. Red Angus have a bunch too, but there is a wider selection of the off colored ones. If you breed natural, if she check EPDs for a couple of generations back you should be able to find a youn bull that should give you the same traits.

dun

A

Anonymous

as dun said check on epd's. with heifers i have pulled calves out of some angus bulls. :shock: but with cows the only worry is malpresentation. brangus is a good choice too for calving ease and more depth and frame. mine have plenty of hair for winter. 8)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dun, Any particular AI schools in the Midwest that you recommend?

dun

Reaction score
All of the major studs have AI schools. Check with your local Genex, ABS, or Select Sires rep.

dun

A. delaGarza

Reaction score
if you are A.I. you should consider Limousin in your Simm/Angus, Brangus or Angus with straight Simmis and Simm/Char cows. I personally prefer Reds but if you are in the Black hide market go with Blacks.

iowan":3gx36p3v said:
As a "part-timer", calving ease is very high on my priority list. To achieve this, without sacrificing too much in the way of lbs of calf weaned, what do you guys think about a Simmental based cow herd bred to performance-type Angus bulls? I know this is a complete reversal of what many do, but I am willing to feed a little more hay and stock the cows a little lighter to sleep easier during calving season. I'm in Iowa, so we usually have lush pastures and a lot of hay to be had.

Right now, my cows are Simmi/Angus and a few Simmi/Charolais cross and straight Simmis.

Any input, suggestions, etc appreciated.

Latest posts