Calving Ease Bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

splinter ridge farm

Reaction score
Here is one for ya'll. I have a heifer that I will be AI breeding the first part of June, so I am studying calving ease bulls that would work good for the show ring as well. I have decided to breed her to an angus simply because I want a live calf on the ground. I have been looking at a few, but I have read a lot about Northern Improvement. I kind'a like him. Has anyone seen any steers out of him? I have seen some heifers and bulls, but no pics of steers, I have been told he can produce a "flashy Steer" :roll: . Any input with any other potential bulls? Thanks!

If you can get ahold of any Ali that would be the route to take. We have a Legacy Plus son at the house that we use on all our heifers and he consistently throws 50-60# calves.

We bred and raised a bull called "Northern Lite" (sometimes it's spelled Light) that works great on heifers. He's a Northern Improvement out of a Mailman/Angus cow. He's 92% Angus, 8% Chi. He's a registered Chi bull. He is well proven all over the country. You don't have your region listed, but most AI companies carry him. SEK, Bovine Elite, Cattle Vision, Stepping Stone, among others. His females make great cows too. He's been around since 2003 and still sells a good bit of semen every year.

If you want to go low BW Angus. I would suggest one of the Duff Bulls or OCC Legend. They appear to me to be better steer makers. More bone, thickness, style and pattern. Norhern improvement isnt a bad choice I just dont think he can add a whole lot other than a bit of style to the mix.

Any one tried that Copyright bull that's advertised in the corner of the CT boards?

Hey Cowboy 2.0, is the bull that is called "The Ringer", is he a son of "Ali"? What is the full name of Ali? His he a black bull called Cowen's Ali?

splinter ridge farm":3njru1e0 said:
Hey Cowboy 2.0, is the bull that is called "The Ringer", is he a son of "Ali"? What is the full name of Ali? His he a black bull called Cowen's Ali?

Thats him.

Try Rocky Balboa (sired by Ali). I had a heifer calf out of him this year-she is very nice. Thick, with lots of hair and looks "flashy". She came breech, but because she was small it was not a problem. BW was around 68-70.

I also have two calves out of Ali, one a heifer and one a bull calf. Ali is really expensive if you can find it, and if you find it hope it good.
Rocky is an alternative to Ali, and I think my heifer out of Rocky looks a lot better than the heifer out of Ali.

Friends also have 5 Rocky's on the ground, they are nice.

"Angus" does not necessarily mean easy calving :shock:
When you look for an "easy calving" bull - of any breed - be sure to make sure his daughters are easy calving also (Maternal Calving Ease). Many easy calving bulls produce small hard calving daughters, but many breeders have worked at getting BOTH great traits in their bulls.

twistedxranch":3jpanade said:
showing71":3jpanade said:
Any one tried that Copyright bull that's advertised in the corner of the CT boards?

Nope,

Dan Leo has shown for years though. I called him about that copy right bull. His weaning weight and yearling weight did not impress me it was something like 667 and 1080. He only gained like 3 pounds per day on test and I didnt want that. As I was talking to dan leo he said he used to be in the Salers business and had more Salers cattle than anyone. At that time he said he was called Agri-Plains Cattle Company. Now they are of course APEX Cattle. They still show he said he got out of the Salers business because he wanted to try something new and his son was wanting to go the club calf route. I wanted to use the copy right bull on some Gelbvieh cows I have but after seeing his growth info I was like NOPE!
:roll:

Cowboy 2.0":3uys75ai said:
twistedxranch":3uys75ai said:
showing71":3uys75ai said:

Nope,

Dan Leo has shown for years though. I called him about that copy right bull. His weaning weight and yearling weight did not impress me it was something like 667 and 1080. He only gained like 3 pounds per day on test and I didnt want that. As I was talking to dan leo he said he used to be in the Salers business and had more Salers cattle than anyone. At that time he said he was called Agri-Plains Cattle Company. Now they are of course APEX Cattle. They still show he said he got out of the Salers business because he wanted to try something new and his son was wanting to go the club calf route. I wanted to use the copy right bull on some Gelbvieh cows I have but after seeing his growth info I was like NOPE!
:roll:
:lol2:
The reason I asked is I saw APEX has some steers out of him, but I haven't heard anything more and didn't know if anyone got good results on a show calf, not strictly a breeding animal.

With a show steer why would you want numbers any higher? So u have to fight to hold a calf back? Those numbers are about on par for a show steer.

Cowboy 2.0":fli1qjyk said:
With a show steer why would you want numbers any higher? So u have to fight to hold a calf back? Those numbers are about on par for a show steer.
I certainly don't want huge growth numbers on a show calf, it's hard enough making sure they gain right without trying to hold them back.

Twistedx,
twistedxranch":fli1qjyk said:
The reason I asked is I saw APEX has some steers out of him, but I haven't heard anything more and didn't know if anyone got good results on a show calf, not strictly a breeding animal.

If they only have steers out of him that should tell ya something he aint no good so they cut the bulls and got rid of the heifers.[/quote]
They cut the bulls because they want a show steer. Copyright is supposed to be a club calf bull, or at least has been advertised as such around here. APEX sells show steers and heifers, and I would know since I've shown against them several times. I wanted to know how his progeny look for a show animal, not something to be retained for breeding purposes specifically.

What is the breeding on your heifer? If she is clubby I thank that you would be safe with Northern Improvement or Carrousel 8 Meyer, they throw calves with some look, you're not going to get that great calf but they will give you one you can sell, as stated before dead calves are hard to sell. If your cow is Angus, Main/angus, or Simi/Angus you could try Who Made Who, Rocky Balboa, Jakes Proud Jazz, Dirty Hairy, or Majors Money Man, as with any clubby type bull, do not over feed the heifer in the last trimester, Grass, grass hay and minerals, no grain or alfalfa.

My heifer is a Simmi/ Angus/ Chi cross. I am intending to post some updated pics of her and the steer this week-end. Now as to what I decided on is "Who Made Who". This may be right, wrong or indifferent, but after a fairly long studying process, I believe I will put that on her. What is everyone's thoughts on this selection? :?:

As long as the heifer has good wheels on her, you should be fine, if she has any structure problems I would maybe look at a different bull. WMW calves had a history of structure problems, but I thank that allot of it was the cows he was bred to, he was the hot bull and every thing was bred to him at the time, allot like Heat Wave now.

Good luck, at least with this breeding, bull or heifer calf, you should have a good sellable calf.

iowahawkeyes":1wthp6ld said:
We bred and raised a bull called "Northern Lite" (sometimes it's spelled Light) that works great on heifers. He's a Northern Improvement out of a Mailman/Angus cow. He's 92% Angus, 8% Chi. He's a registered Chi bull. He is well proven all over the country. You don't have your region listed, but most AI companies carry him. SEK, Bovine Elite, Cattle Vision, Stepping Stone, among others. His females make great cows too. He's been around since 2003 and still sells a good bit of semen every year.

Hey, he's the sire to my cow!!
And yeah, she was a tiny calf!
IMG_20130620_203145_zpsa1c11c22.jpg

Latest posts