Calving ease BA vs Herf.

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
If I had some first time Polled Hereford heifers, and I wanted to use an AI bull on, not caring about the calf as a replacement calf, which breed would be an easier calving bull to use, BA or Herf? Meaning if I had my choice of using a Black Angus or Hereford AI bull, and assuming they had identical calving ease EPD's for their breed, would one still calve easier than the other because of breed? I do mean identical calve ease or BW for each breed, so if you compared one epd to the other the numbers may be different because of breed epd standards but penciled out they are they same just different breeds.

Hope the question is clear, hard to explain I guess... :oops:

Thanks,
Alan

Alan, there's not much difference. I have first calf heifers every year, half bred to Angus and half to Hereford bulls, and I don't see any real difference. If you are not going to keep any, the black baldy calves should sell a little better. The main thing is to make sure the heifers are properly grown out from weaning all the way through calving and breeding back for their second calves. Properly grown heifers don't have a lot of trouble regardless of the breed of bull, as long as the BW EPDs are reasonable.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1230e7pe said:
Black baldies sell really well around here. For me personally I would choose the black angus for that simple fact. Secondly I think angus just calve easier than herfs.

No question, take the Angus and you'll be glad when you start selling those baldy calves.

Bullbuyer":3aiiltu5 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3aiiltu5 said:
Black baldies sell really well around here. For me personally I would choose the black angus for that simple fact. Secondly I think angus just calve easier than herfs.

No question, take the Angus and you'll be glad when you start selling those baldy calves.

I agree with both.

Bullbuyer":23ben9i4 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":23ben9i4 said:

I agree, go for the Black Angus instead. I can't believe I just said that. I am a Hereford breeder, bur sometimes you have to believe what is going to make the better calf. Although I am not putting the Hereford down, I am just saying what would be better to use on the cross. Angus on Hereford or Hereford on Angus, makes for some of the best calves and they sell well in my neck of the woods as well. We try and buy these type of cows, because they make some of the best recips. :cboy:

Latest posts