Calving during storms...

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
This may have been brought up before on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone can explain why so many calves are born during a storm...

My Grandpa used to tell my dad that it was because a cow uses everything within her power to guard her calf from predators and she knows that there will be very little pressure during a storm. I have also read up on the subject and found that there are several theories on factors that will cause the induction of labor during a storm. Mainly it makes reference that it is due to the changes in barometric pressure. It is suggested that the changing pressure may have stressed the cow sufficiently enough to stimulate corticoid secretion by the calf at a level that triggers birthing.

I am not exactly sure, but what I am sure of is that it seems that we do experience quite a few births during times of storms. Has anyone else noticed this or care to add why they think this occurs?

Brian

Change in barometric pressure. Or Maybe just because they are contrary beasts

barometric pressure...................................

Damn Dun - for once I knew the reason and you still beat me to it.

M5farm":2bi5a5cl said:
barometric pressure...................................

be nice Dun - for once I knew the reason and you still beat me to it.

:lol2: :lol2:

Don't you hate that? I swear he has some kind of alarm that goes off when a question is aksed. :lol2: :lol2:

I too concur with barometric pressure. I've had quite a few born during ice or snow storms.

I have changed my calving "season".

Katherine

Latest posts