calving cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 3 year old cow having her second calf, she has been showing signs all day, and it is her time by gestation table. So far, there are no feet showing and she has not broken her water. I guess the real question is that she always lays on her right side and when she stands she has a lot of gas. Does this tell you anything or is this just a partr of calving.

Harry

[email protected]

> I have a 3 year old cow having her
> second calf, she has been showing
> signs all day, and it is her time
> by gestation table. So far, there
> are no feet showing and she has
> not broken her water. I guess the
> real question is that she always
> lays on her right side and when
> she stands she has a lot of gas.
> Does this tell you anything or is
> this just a partr of calving.

> Harry

what signs? any straining? no water? first water than feet she could still be days away keep a close watch and let her do her thing

keep us posted Art

[email protected]

> what signs? any straining? no
> water? first water than feet she
> could still be days away keep a
> close watch and let her do her
> thing

> keep us posted Art The signs was referring to were floppy rear, full utter, and holding her tail out.

Harry

[email protected]

hit the wrong button with that NM lol... i dont know about the gas part, but one sign to know the cow is close is they will almost always separate themselves from the herd and go off to have the calf... if she has done this and is laying down and getting up like she is restless.... if this continues on for several hours, my advise is you need to get her up and check her out... see what is happening in there... the calf may be in a wrong postition for normal delivery or just plain too big...

good luck

gene

> I have a 3 year old cow having her
> second calf, she has been showing
> signs all day, and it is her time
> by gestation table. So far, there
> are no feet showing and she has
> not broken her water. I guess the
> real question is that she always
> lays on her right side and when
> she stands she has a lot of gas.
> Does this tell you anything or is
> this just a partr of calving.

> Harry

[email protected]

Hello,

If there is no amnion present she is not calving, she is pregnant, not calving, just due.

Watch her udder, look for thick clear mucus at vulva.

If she is fat, or eating too much, she will be causing alot of preasure on her repro tract, the stomach area will be displacing space in her abdominal cavity and pushing the calf to the back, or out.

just watch her, if you see amnion break, then she is calving, she will displace a lot of yellow thick fluid, urine from calf and other fluid, then watch for toes followed by a nose, this will identify the calf's normal presentation. If no nose is seen then suspect the calf's posture is inncorect, give cow no more than 30 minutes, but watch to see if she gets up to reposition herself and the calf, she may do this 3-more times to adjust calf in the birth canal.

Good luck

[email protected]

If this has been going on for several days, I think the claf may be dead and she has a calf too large to pass through the canal, or the position of the calf is wrong, either way you need to get a vet to stick an arm in her, ang check, if the calf is alive, wait, if the calf is dead, you need to get it out befor you loose her too, before doing anything else take the cows temp, ASAP, if it is high she might be septic or fighting an infection of the uterus with a dead calf in her.

[email protected]