Calving Close?

Help Support CattleToday:

p2p

Reaction score
I have 3 longhorn heifers bred (accidentally to a Longhorn "steer"). Anyway, their bellies are huge and they are getting a little bit of a bag. My friend says it is close when they start "springing"? I don't know what that means. I don't know how to tell when they are close to calving. I worry about them constantly although my friend told me that longhorns shouldn't have any problems. They are a couple of years old. We bought them for roping cattle and weren't expecting to have babies.
Any wisdom share?
Thanks!

Do a search and you will find more information then you will get replies to your post - people get tired of posting the same info over and over and over..............

Oops sorry.
I just wanted to know if anyone deals with Longhorns and if their calving and care is easier than the commercial beef breeds.
Thanks for the post

If they are longhorns, and they are bred to a longhorn bull. Dont worry about it.. They will calve on their own just fine.

You guys know what he means, it was probably an unnoticable stag, don't be disrespectful and play stupid.

That is why I put Quotes around steer. We bought him just weaned at a sale as a steer, he was very small and weak, and turned out to be a bull....very late bloomer. I was told that Longhorns don't have late bloomers and he must have been shooting blanks, but obviously was not.
Thanks for the input. I was hoping Longhorns were a bit hardier than some of the other breeds. I just wasn't planning on calves and want to do what I can to make sure they are healthy. I vaccinate and worm twice a year. Well just got our first ones three years ago.
Thank you again

Thanks for the nice words. I am actually a girl and my husband works very long hours and let's me handle the cattle (our whole 12 head :D )
I want to do a good job.

stephE":1cg8yfsm said:
You guys know what he means, it was probably an unnoticable stag, don't be disrespectful and play stupid.

p2p":2rmjpe0b said:
That is why I put Quotes around steer. We bought him just weaned at a sale as a steer, he was very small and weak, and turned out to be a bull....very late bloomer. I was told that Longhorns don't have late bloomers and he must have been shooting blanks, but obviously was not.
Thanks for the input. I was hoping Longhorns were a bit hardier than some of the other breeds. I just wasn't planning on calves and want to do what I can to make sure they are healthy. I vaccinate and worm twice a year. Well just got our first ones three years ago.
Thank you again

After you've been on the board for a while you will learn not to leave yourself wide open like that. Steer :lol:

stephE":29nglpxp said:

Hey, didn't mean any disrespect. Just some of the things said on this board occasionally floor me and I just wanted to qualify the post. Also, by happenstance if a bull is banded and they miss an oyster then you can have a steer full of surprises.

Wow Proverbs, that is interesting. May explain our situation.
Thanks

Latest posts