Calving and the Cold...

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
This year has been the worst calving season I can remember, at least as far as the weather goes. It has been cold and stormy for the whole month of March so far and the forecast is for the same for the rest of the month and into April. On the other hand we haven't had any major problems other than the temps. We've pulled a few calves out of the heifers and had 1 C-section.

The C-section heifer was out of a group of 4 heifers we bought as calves. They all calved within 24 hours of each other, we pulled 1, had 1 C-section, 1 calved on her own with a big calf and the fourth was bred to the other bull and had a nice little calf. C-sections calf wasn't that huge as far as weight goes, but his heat was HUGE!! She's heading down the road this spring, she's never shown any interest in him since we got him out of her.

We've had a few calves freeze parts of their ears off, but not too many I think. It's been a ton of work, but we've been able to get the biggest part of them up into the barn either before they calved or right away after they did. We have 10 10x10 stalls, and there have been nights where we've had 15 pairs in the barn.

Right now we are bottling 5 calves. 2 extra twin calves, the C-section and 2 off of cows that want to kill us, after we went to all the work of bringing their calves into the house to thaw them out this morning. We were going to put them back with their mamas this morning, but we couldn't get the cows into the barn (I was put over the fence twice) and you couldn't even walk up to the pen that they were in without having them charge the fence. One of them finally jumped a gate, and we just kicked the other back out. They were bad last year as heifers and worse this year...

So we've had a few calves that got a ride in the truck, to warm them up, and to get them to the barn. And this morning we had the 2 that we brought into the house. Then found one of the older calves that got caught between the watering bowl and fence, he was pretty cold and wet, but I think he is going to be ok.

And today is another nasty day. It isn't all that cold, but we have a cold NW wind, it was SE this morning. And it is snowing like crazy too. The mail truck hasn't been in for 3 days now because the roads are blocked so bad in places.

Anyhow, here's a few photos for you all....
This calf is now about 2 weeks old. I don't believe he lost much of his ears. It was around 0 F when he was born.
599015_10200284421926796_1729857668_n.jpg

This guy was born yesterday I think. He's fine, just got a quicker and less strenuous ride to the barn.
735094_10200284417926696_657084919_n.jpg

And these 2 were born this morning. I'm not really sure why they were so cold, as it was fairly nice this morning when they were born, and it was still OK when we found them. We were lucky to get them away from their nutcase mama's too...
601598_10200284411166527_1015960395_n.jpg

You certainly have your hands full. Cute calves. I don't envy your weather one bit. I pray that it lets up for you soon.

I especially like the red baldy that is in the laundry room. Is that a bull calf or a heifer?

They are both heifer calves. They sure are cute, and good looking calves. But they didn't look quite so good to me when their mamas put me over the fence this afternoon.....

It hasn't been very nice weather here either, but nothing like what you're having. I'm sure those mean mommas are going to pay for their transgressions soon enough.. I had 130 lb bull calf born to a nutcase mother yesterday but she took good care of him and didn't need me... Later in the day I managed to open a gate, and pick him up, and take him out with momma hot on my tail. Today I fed her some of the tastiest hay she's ever seen and she was really hungry, so she let me band and tag him without a fuss... She's 9 years old, and she's actually gotten better with age, I nearly put her 6 feet under 4 years ago, but few cows perform as well as she does so I keep her around. Her second daughter is due in a week or so and is a real doll, and a 3rd daughter seems pretty nice as well.

I pity those little guys having to go out into the cold again after warming up so nicely...

Take care of them all, and watch your back with your nutcases.. don't let them get the better of you! I carry a 3/4" breaker bar with me when I'm around the mean ones.. I call it the Bovine Attitude Adjustment Tool ;)

These are some cows that we are custom calving. It is amazing how people don't mind those types when they are not the ones that have to deal with them. They wouldn't have made the fall last year if they were my cows.

Temperament is 1 of the most important things in our herd. To my mind, it doesn't really matter how big of a calf she raises, if she kills you. In our herd there is a reasonably good chance that a cow is going to have to be handled closely with her calf at some point in her lifetime. If I can't do that without fearing for my life, they don't stick around. We have 2 that will be gone this fall. One is a pretty good young cow, but when we had to put them into the barn this year she was just a little to snotty for my liking. When you have to keep a gate or fence between yourself and a cow to be safe, they need to go. The other is a 3 year old, she calved on about the coldest night, and we couldn't get near her to do anything with he calf. At least she had it in a nice spot, and it survived.

I completely agree with you!... With my cattle there's a reasonably good chance that I'll handle them at some point in the day... I'll tell you weaning and vaccination time is a lot less stressful since most of them are now halterbroke. The meanie who just calved once jumped the fence to get back with the calves at weaning time while the rest of the herd went to the other field across the creek... so I roped her, haltered her, and hitched her to the tractor and towed her over.. a heck of a rodeo but she hasn't tried that again. What really bothers me is cows who are all nice until they have a calf, then just seem to lose all their marbles and can't make out the difference between you and a lion. With my 2nd calvers this year, once their calves stood up, I played "follow the finger" with the calf right to the teats, the cows stood nice and still, and it was 0 stress for anyone.

I don't know if I'd much enjoy custom calving for crazy critters.

Latest posts