?Calving and clear discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

Roger/OH

Reaction score
1st time longhorn heifer.
Noticed tonight, while feeding, my 2 year old heifer had a clear discharge and it was the first that I noticed she was starting to bag up. I have been watching closely every day.
She had a one time exposure with a due date of April 3rd.
The final turn out would put the 1st due date April 13.
Does the clear discharge indicate that I should be looking at April 3?

Does the clear discharge indicate that I should be looking at April 3?

That clear discharge means it might be soon. Give or take 7-8 days. ;-)

I've noticed the clear discharge and it can be upwards of two weeks before calving, sometimes less, keep an eye on her, how she's baggin up, and springin. I've noticed this year that the first timers seem to be alot more springier than previous years. Don't know why that is tho.

Heifer has been in the barn since Sat. She didn't get up for feeding at first. She finally got up and nibbled a little on the hay. Didn't take any grain. Layed back down. No heavey breathing nor did I observe any contractions. Not bagged near as much as most of my cows the day of calving. However, I had one old gal that didn't bag much until the night before calving. Then she would bag up like your best dairy cow.

As stated before, all our cows have calved in the pasture in the past and I didn't worry much about them.
How does a cow act just before calving? Laying down and off feed is that common when calving is real near? For the past two days and when she was being showed, I would have to push her back from the gate just to get in and feed her. The first calve date would be April 3.

First time hiefer and she is 80% new genetics from the rest of the herd. I have no past to go on.

Never had any calving troubles and wouldn't know the signs when I am in trouble.

The clear discharge happens during the third tri-mester, it's sticky and fluid. The thicker discharge is plastic( can stretch it ) and not sticky and usually white and can be a few inches or more long, this is the mucus plug and if you see this labor is on the way. I watch for the raising and straighting of the tail it indicates that labor has started. Some of our cows just straighten the tail, do a little backward walk and start to push despite all our efforts to get them into the barn or claving pen.
Good luck Dmc

Latest posts