Calving 2024

Help Support CattleToday:

The calf with a broken leg is doing well so far. Hopefully she will make a full recovery.
I had a heifer calf with a broken leg, right at the front right knee. Not sure what happened but presumably stepped on. Mama kept her bedded down and on the fringe of the herd for a while but there was no stopping this calf and she'd be running around with the other calves with her crooked knee. Fast forward 3 months and I literally can't tell it was ever broken. And against my better judgement, considering her as a replacement (I love the looks of her, and she has a spectacular lineage).

I had a heifer calf with a broken leg, right at the front right knee. Not sure what happened but presumably stepped on. Mama kept her bedded down and on the fringe of the herd for a while but there was no stopping this calf and she'd be running around with the other calves with her crooked knee. Fast forward 3 months and I literally can't tell it was ever broken. And against my better judgement, considering her as a replacement (I love the looks of her, and she has a spectacular lineage).
I'm very tough on reasons I would cull animals... but a healed broken leg without any obvious disability would not be on my list.

We cut some last week for first time... cutting hay today... son will probably will lay down 20-40 acres today. Clear, mostly sun. light breeze and no humidity... perfect to dry. 25 % chance of pop up shower tomorrow for about 2 hours mid day... taking the chance since they have been spotty the last 4-5 days.
WOW - 3 already.... time flies...

Hit two weeks mark of age and being in the cast. So far things are looking okay.
20240602_154403.jpg

Have four cows in heat today... One for AI this evening and three for tomorrow morning.
This one's dam is in heat. Will go with piedmontese again!
20240602_175232.jpg
This one's dam will be AI'ed in the evening. Probably will use piedmontese this time as well.
20240602_175221.jpg

That's because they don't breed for black hides over there... they breed for quality.
doesn't have a lot to do with that, there's no angus association creating market premiums for certain colored cattle and it's not the color that matters, it is the premiums. If any association spent that kind of money to promote whatever feature they wanted to promote it would be the same results, they could be white, brown, yellow or pink. It's not the cattle. it's what is caused by marketing to bring more. And as you can see in this country it works, even if you don't like it. It would work there too

doesn't have a lot to do with that, there's no angus association creating market premiums for certain colored cattle and it's not the color that matters, it is the premiums. If any association spent that kind of money to promote whatever feature they wanted to promote it would be the same results, they could be white, brown, yellow or pink. It's not the cattle. it's what is caused by marketing to bring more. And as you can see in this country it works, even if you don't like it. It would work there too
So even though it "doesn't have a lot to do with that" (black hides)... you just said pretty much the same thing in more words. LOL... it's okay. I get it.

Sometimes I think Europeans must be a lot smarter than us.

Latest posts