calves

Help Support CattleToday:

ivan.strilk

Reaction score
Is there any risk of a calf dying from the banding method of castration? Do you give a calf a shot before you band it to prevent infection, or do you wait till ther are signs of infection? I would like to get as much info as possible on the banding method of castration.

dun

Reaction score
For banding baby calves there isn;t a need for a shot. About the only way you could kill it by banding would be if you applied it around his neck instead of his balls. Just remember to count to 2 after you put the band on. If you don;t count 2, cut it off and do it again.

Lucky_P

Reaction score
Tetanus is the only reasonable concern.

I have seen baby calves with full-blown tetanus a week or two out from having bands applied.
I know millions of them are done every year with no problems, but I've seen enough of them, that on the few instances where I've used bands, I give a tetanus antitoxin injection - or vaccinate with tetanus toxoid 2 weeks or so prior to application of the band, in order for the calf to develop some modicum of protection.

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Most of mine get banded the first day. Some get missed and can go as long as a week. I never have problems or deaths from banding.