Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hey,

Kinda lost my head at the salebarn too like Arnold and bought 5 Hereford calves. They are are between 1-4 days old. I don't know if they got colostrum so should I mix the packet in with the milk replacer or just forget about the colostrum. Thanks in advance.

After 24 hours chlostrum doesn't really do any good for the immune system, but the nutrition from it may give them just a little boost. Start them on a program of top quality milk replacer and introduce a good quality calf starter grain in a couple of days. Watch very close for any signs of them being not 100%, in a week or two, vaccinate them for the normal things that a calf would get from it's mother. If they've had the chlostroum it won't hurt but probably wont do any real good. If they haven't had it, the vaccinations will definitely help

dun

Travis":2ruhsjxw said:
Hey,

Kinda lost my head at the salebarn too like Arnold and bought 5 Hereford calves. They are are between 1-4 days old. I don't know if they got colostrum so should I mix the packet in with the milk replacer or just forget about the colostrum. Thanks in advance.

On occassion we have used a product called Nursemate which seems to give them a boost. It cost about $3 to $4 a tube give them the whole tube dosent replace colustrum but gets their rumen and systems going

You didn't lose your head Travis, you made a wise (in your case unconscious...maybe God foolin' with your brain LOL!) choice with the young Herf calves. By the time you resell them, the prices for Herefords will shoot closer to Angus (barf) prices. Besides those Hereford calves are very hardy critters! Seen too many Angus calves are bunch of wimps and die....not Herfs! Goodluck!

I would hit them with everything that you would normally give at weaning, IBR/BVD, blackleg and all the other chlostridial stuff and anything that your vet thinks is relatively common in your area. But I'm pretty paranoid about vaccinating.

dun

cattletom":2aqdziy1 said:
dun in your opinion what vaccinations would u give to these littleones

thanks tom

Latest posts