Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how a solid black cow, breed unknown, and a chiangus bull can throw out a black white face calf. Just trying to figure out how this stuff works. I would just like to know how yall think happened.

Hippie Rancher":254ji5po said:
breed unknown

C'mon...you can do better than that. I can't, but you can. :lol:

Alice

sewall":1aum2k8k said:
Can someone tell me how a solid black cow, breed unknown, and a chiangus bull can throw out a black white face calf. Just trying to figure out how this stuff works. I would just like to know how yall think happened.

Something to do with heterosis. The solid black or breed unknown has something in the wood pile way back ,probably Holstein.???

Alice":rdkhdsvy said:
Hippie Rancher":rdkhdsvy said:
breed unknown

C'mon...you can do better than that. I can't, but you can. :lol:

Alice

You are right, but that was the answer short and sweet.

That solid black is covering who knows what? I've got black cows that throw anything you can name in terms of colors and markings. They may have hereford, brahma, limousin, saler, angus, brangus, longhorn or even a bit of charolais in their ancestry. Heck there was even a shorthorn bull on the place for a while once! He didn't get around in the rocks very good though.

sewall":3n7o7jc8 said:

What you have is a cow and a bull that both carry a recessive spotting gene. Probably the blaze face like the Simmental breed carries. It is not the Hereford one, because that is dominant.