calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

just wondering here... we have lost a few calves this year that have had the scours, we recently brought a healthy calf into the barn(we know the farmer we bought it from well) and first few days it was doing great, then down hill scours runny nose coughing(doing ok now) but the question I was wondering is this... Could it be in the ground from past sick calves and making these sick too. we moved him and he is doing better now but dont know if it is from med we gave him or changin his stall and if it is the stall how do we get rid of it ....Thanks for your time and info

Yes it could be. Make sure your feed troughs and water tanks are cleaned and disinfected. Keep them clean. If more drastic measures are needed, clean and disinfect the barn too. I try to scrape it out and put clean bedding between any groups that will be in there.

If you are raising bucket calves, their are several considerations besides sanitation which can effect morbidity and mortality in baby calves. Ventilation, milk replacer quality, vaccination, preventative medication,and dehydration prevention can also impact the symptoms and disease you may see. Most scour diseases are oral/fecal in transmission so keeping new arivals away from recently recovered calves is also helpful. For several years we raised 100+ calves each fall, salebarn origin.
> lost a few calves this year that
> have had the scours, we recently
> brought a healthy calf into the
> barn(we know the farmer we bought
> it from well) and first few days
> it was doing great, then down hill
> scours runny nose coughing(doing
> ok now) but the question I was
> wondering is this... Could it be
> in the ground from past sick
> calves and making these sick too.
> we moved him and he is doing