calves

Help Support CattleToday:

farmer0789

Reaction score
i am currently raising 6 beef calves and they are about a week out of the weaning stage but still beller for milk. i was once told to turn them out on pasture ground but i didnt believe the guy. was he correct or not?

Depends on where their momma's are. I think I would wait til they are done bellering for their mom's before I turned them out. Even then I would make sure their mom's weren't in the next pasture and my fences were very good and at least 5 strands, 6 would be better - rounding up calves is a royal pain!

msscamp":3nha937p said:
Depends on where their momma's are. I think I would wait til they are done bellering for their mom's before I turned them out. Even then I would make sure their mom's weren't in the next pasture and my fences were very good and at least 5 strands, 6 would be better - rounding up calves is a royal pain!

Rounding up calves is kind of like herding chickens!

Farmer0789...are you asking how to wean your calves or whether they are ready to wean?
Our calves eat what their mamas eat when they are able to start eating hay. We wean at the 205 day mark depending on the cow and calf some sooner almost none later. Seperate them in seperate pastures with a good fence...the bellering usually stops in a few days, keep then seperated for six weeks. Had one that would keep trying to sneak a snack form his dry mama, tried it with a big Lim heifer and she let him know he was weaned.
DMc