calves on red clover pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
I have 50 weaned calves that I would like to turn in on a 90 to 95% red clover pasture. What are my chances of bloat on calves in the 500 to 600 lb range. Will they bloat as easy as a cow on that much clover. The field that they are on now doesn't have hardy any clover in it at all. I would think that they would gain pretty good on this type of pasture. I just don't want to loose one in the process. Thanks for your comments!!!

no idea on your question, sorry... I just wanted to warn you to pull them off the red clover well before casterating. Our neighbor lost 7 last year, before the vet asked what they had been eating. Seems it thins their blood quite a bit so they bleed to death quickly

Before you turn them out into a pasture with rich legumes, you should make sure that your animals have a belly full of feed. They will be less likely to "pig out" than if they were turned out hungry. Keep an eye on them for 'frothy' bloat all the same.
Take care.

CattleAnnie":3repqsdr said:
Before you turn them out into a pasture with rich legumes, you should make sure that your animals have a belly full of feed. They will be less likely to "pig out" than if they were turned out hungry. Keep an eye on them for 'frothy' bloat all the same.
Take care.

Not sure what it would hurt to take the salt away and set out a couple bloat blocks for a few days also.

Rod

Latest posts