Calves not very active. ..

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd just assume selenium and dose every calf as early as you can until you know otherwise, but consult your vet to find the cause. Even if there is something else going on, a selenium lack could be the straw that does them in.

My vet told me that selenium deficiency generally hits a calf at 3 days of age, but it sure seemed to me that it made them weak from the start. We used to use feed store mineral and had a lot of slow starting calves. Gave every calf we could catch a selenium shot and it seemed to help even prior to 3 days.

When we switched to Vitaferm minerals, the slow starting was pretty well a thing of the past. I firmly believe something in the mineral mix is helping the calves take off earlier.

My vet is designing me a little different vaccination program to assist with fetus calf, ect.

Nothing new cause all I had was 15 this year, still building. Will have 20 next year, but here are some new things that are happening this next year. Cows are getting moved from this location to a larger leased location. Also, this year I fed a cheap pasture mineral during the spring, summer, and early fall with fly control in it.. and then I give a good breeding mineral with lots of selenium during the fall with no fly control mixed in.. I THINK THIS IS WHERE PART OF MY PROBLEM WITH POSSIBLE SELENIUM STUFF WENT WRONG. .. Next year I am keeping them on the selenium one year round and not doing the added fly control drugs to see if that possibly was a cause. We'll see what happens I guess and keep treading on..

I fall calve so I think their 3rd trimester, May on.. they were not getting the added selenium they prob needed..

Can I get the selenium shot from TSC, co-op, or should I just get at the vet?

machslammer":33y5c8km said:
I fall calve so I think their 3rd trimester, May on.. they were not getting the added selenium they prob needed..

Can I get the selenium shot from TSC, co-op, or should I just get at the vet?
Only available from the vet

I read you are vaccinating with a killed vaccine. Did you take an ear sample to test for BVD by chance?

I hope you get ahead of this. Every one you lose hurts.