Calves' Noses Peeling

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
Anyone know why calves noses peel? Right now nearly every calf's nose is peeling...

CANON075.jpg

CANON073.jpg

Do any of the calves have a pigmented nose or are they all white? If all white I would vote photosensistivity first.

To me it looks like they have had a touch of a virus...Snots (fever) will make the upper part of the nose peel like that when they are over it all...

There are many factors to consider, some that are not critical such a wind ,cold weather, pigmentation.
The one to be concerned with is fever do to an illness. Have you pulled a temp on any of the calves ?

Any history of BVD or IBR in the herd???

No I haven't pulled a temp....but you mentioned pigmentation...it is only the calves with the white noses that nose's are peeling...so I'm guessing it is a pigmentation thing...

K2011":23cncndk said:
No I haven't pulled a temp....but you mentioned pigmentation...it is only the calves with the white noses that nose's are peeling...so I'm guessing it is a pigmentation thing...

Maybe ,maybe not. If you have not had to treat any for symptoms such as pneumonia and severe scours then it is probably weather related .. BUT if you have I would look into it further, pull a couple of temps and see what you get..

It is usually an indication that the animal had a fever a few days ago. Usually by the time they are peeling, you have either treated them, or they are over whatever caused the fever. Chances are that the animals whose noses are peeling won't have a fever now. Or, possibly photosensitivity, although if that is the problem, they should be peeling anywhere there is white markings.

The other option could be sun or wind burn, but I can't say that I have ever noticed much of that.

They have stopped peeling, on ALL the calves....it's like we noticed it and then the next day it was gone...

Latest posts