Calves hanging out near the bale feeder (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I stopped by to put out some hay and check on the calving. Looks like a couple more calves over the past few days.

The weather has changed from warm and sunny to wet, windy and much cooler (38 degrees - I heard something about light snow on the local weather forecast).

I was trying add a second bale to the double cradle feeder but had to chase the calves out from under and around it first. There is a new one in the distance who seemed like he was just trying to figure out where he is... They llike to eat the fine leaves that fall thru and use the bale feeder to get out of the wind and drizzle.

NewCalvesnearthebalefeeder040710.jpg

Here is a picture of a part-Simmi part Hereford first calf heifer that someone had commented on earlier.

IMG_0048_2_1.jpg

Also a nice 2-day old heifer calf with her very watchful mom #39.

IMG_0055_2_1.jpg

Weather sure has turned back to early March type. Jim

Thank you for the kind words.

It is that time of year in the north where the cattle are getting tired of eating hay and scrounge around for any little blade of green grass in the calving pasture. I will open the other paddocks up around the first of May or so.

I seem to be getting far more bull calves this year than heifers. Anyone else seeing this? Or is it just nature and will average out in the long run?

Jim

SR Beef, cute calves! Just a question, how big are your bales?? I don't think they make them that big up here! lol :eek:

Roan":1ril880t said:
SR Beef, cute calves! Just a question, how big are your bales?? I don't think they make them that big up here! lol :eek:

My bales are theoretically 6 ft diameter x 5 ft wide. My hay supplier actually makes them a bit over 6ft and very dense. I weighed a couple last summer and they were between 1600 and 1700 lb. I love them because at 2.8 percent of body wt per day 3 or 4 bales out will hold them for awhile until I can get back. Bigger bales means less handling. Thanks for the kind words.