Calves dry skin issue

Help Support CattleToday:

shorthorn1996

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question about my 3 month old milking Devon working steers. On both the ears they seem to have dry skin or something. If you touch the ears they feel scabby and hard. It's only around the ears, though when I brought them home from Connecticut, they had a bad case of dandruff in the rump area. They seem to be healthy. Also I was wondering why the both had a scab on the top line in the same spot. Is that normal.

Hope to here back.

they usually are "dandruffy" around the neck area or shoulder. a pour-on dewormer will get rid of lice if thats what it is.

Are there bare spots? Can you pull the hair out with just a slight pull next to the spots? If so pull some out and put in a sandwhich bag overnight and the next morning you should see them on the bag. Make sure you seal it tho. But if it's scabby and hard, sounds more like ringworm.

roadapple is right. scabby is probably ringworm. especially with that age of calf this time of year. and with it being on the ears and rump. the dandruff is just from them scratching it on something probably. lice can look dandruffy and a little scabby but like i said its usually around the neck more.