calves continue to sell good

Help Support CattleToday:

sam

Reaction score
sold some calves yesterday, thye sold as well as they had been selling before the BSE incident, weighing cows sold good too

which sale did you go to yesterday?...I was at the Van Zandt Sale barn and I was pleasantly surprised at the prices also! I saw the Mineral Wells sale prices online and they appear to be just as much as before Christmas!

The central TX sales have been small over the past few days because it's too wet for a lot of folks to get a trailer out to the road. Calves are holding fine but red cows are a bargain. If you have grass or plenty of hay it's a good time to buy.

Craig-TX

Calves are holding fine but red cows are a bargain.
Craig-TX[/quote]

Make that "bred cows." Red cows are... well... they're red.

Craig-TX

Here in SE Nebraska, bred cows are selling pretty high compared to what they were a few months ago. Last spring bred pairs were only bringing $700-$800, last week bred cows (black and red) were $900 and up. Only one sold cheaper, a 3 year old registered Hereford, 6 months bred, she brought $700.

Ann Bledsoe

everyone seems to still be holding them back, wasn't very many there at the sale, i hven't seen any cows selling but weigh cows are still doing ok, i sold some weigh cows and they were fat, brought mid 40's.

Sam- bred cows are really in a demand up north here where we've had herds cut back because of drought. Last week in Miles City 3-4 year olds sold for $1200. Even the old short-term broken mouths are bringing $700. Last year you could pick up good short-termers for $400.

At those prices there still must be a lot of faith in the industry.

Interesting. Around here young to middle aged bred cows are selling in the mid-500s to 700s and older bred cows are from 400 to 650.

Craig-TX

i wish i had an 18 wheeler, i'd be making a road trip to Miles City. I have heard several people say since xmas they are going to keep their heifers this year and raise them for replacements as there is going to be a shortage of replacement cattle. you all have had a couple of years of drought up in Montana haven't you Oldtimer

sam":38ypv5yi said:
i wish i had an 18 wheeler, i'd be making a road trip to Miles City. I have heard several people say since xmas they are going to keep their heifers this year and raise them for replacements as there is going to be a shortage of replacement cattle. you all have had a couple of years of drought up in Montana haven't you Oldtimer

Sam- Yeah the prices on bred stock is staying pretty strong up here- We did have several years of drought although this part of Montana wasn't as bad as some parts. We definitely will have grass next spring with the amount of snow we have had this winter.
I really think bred cow prices will stay strong for the next couple of years. Not that many heifers retained around here this year- a lot of people short on grass and feed - they took advantage of the good prices and sold. If a person has some good heifers they may be worth quite a bit when bred.

Latest posts