Calves coming early

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Ok it looks like our calving season has started. Based on AI date our heifers should hae started calving on September 19th so far five have calved two of them back in August during the hurricane so I guess it could have been the low pressure system, but we took the second calf to the state lab in Elba to have it checked cause something is wrong. The other three lived two Regis bull calves weighing 52 and 56 pounds and one Final Answer heifer weighing 50 pounds. All three are doing fine just really small but then again all are 10 days or better early. From the looks of the heifers we will have several more on the ground before the weekend. Is anyone else experiencing unusually early calves this year? Just curious, we still haven't heard anything from the lab to see if they found anything. A couple other calves are on the ground but they are out of donor cows that we wanted to calve early in order to have them set up and ready to flush by the first week of January. Both donors had heifer calves that look really good.

Gizmom

It's not just you. I've had 2 that were 2 weeks early each and eveyone local to me is reporting
The same.

Four so far two calved the end of august.One reg angus heifer had a 30-40 lb black baldie bull calf out the hereford/angus cross bull.
Four more heifers and five cows are close and with that cool front coming in tomorrow I bet there will be some new calves on the ground friday morning.
I turned the bulls out December 1st last year but might hold off until January 1st this year.

Ours were also due to calve 9/19; had 1 on the 10th and a set of twins and another single on the 11th. A couple more are ready to go any day.

We've had a great start to fall calving. Wasn't supposed to start until 9/8, first calf came 8/28. Got 12 on the ground since then with one in labor when I left for work this morning.

We are having some of the nicest weather I've seen!

Things are odd this year. My daughter who lives in the Panhandle told me that the Monarch butterflies are migrating early this year. They are starting to appear, plus the robins are back early too.

We have had a few early in past years but nothing like what we are getting this year and they are stacking up the in calving pen lol. As long as they come healthy I won't complain but it is intresting that this seems to be a trend. I wonder if this is weather related.

Gizmom

warmer than usual winter = more grass/forage = increased calf development = early birth?

We are having similar activity. We had one cow due 9/16 with all others due 9/25. This morning our farm manager called and said we had 6 calves on the ground. :banana:

We had one bull calf born way too early and unable to stand on front feet. We were unable to save him. The rest of the female have been receiving xtra feed and molasses tubs hoping to overcome the problem. So far, 9 calves alive and OK . #9 born this morning and very tiny but seems pretty active. Will tag, vaccinate and weigh her shortly.
Blessings
Valerie
Doc warned me the calves were being born early due to the heat we had.

Well we have sure had heat and drought so I do imagine both are playing a part as of this evening we have had 10 calves out of our heifers and they were not due to start until next week. We lost the first two but they were really early and during the hurricane but the others have been very active just tiny little ole peanuts. Of the calves on the ground we have Colman Rigis, BC Matrix, Final Answer and one Connealy Impression, so it isn't just one bull it is all of them. Looking at the heifers this evening we will have several more this weekend.

I received a call from a customer that had purchased a bred heifer back in April she calved today calf is doing great.

Gizmom

We had two more calves yesterday, one was out of a cow that was AI'd to calve Oct. 7th it is a nice Final Answer bull calf so the trend continues, the other was out of another of the heifers another Regis bull calf. Jacob had great help checking the cows this weekend!

60721_4644097508939_1420628324_n.jpg

217822_4644155270383_1925944249_n.jpg

Jacob's twins turn a year old next week it is hard to beleive that a year ago Ronnie and I got the call that they were going to the hospital while we were on the Angus tour in Georgia. Needless to say we went straight home but the girls waited almost a week before arriving. We have sure enjoyed every minute of watching them grow this past year and look forward to seeing them able to lead their first calf.

Gizmom

We only had 6 to calve this fall. 5 went with the bull so they'd calve any time after Sep 1. They calved Sep 4 - Sep 15th. They're all 80 lbs, +/- a couple lbs. Number 6 was bred Jan 1, she's a heifer and was born in November. She's bagged pretty good but I don't expect it until mid-October. I'll be on alert in case she goes early.

Baldie Maker
I will get some photo's when they get a little more size to them right now they look like black fawns lol. We had two more this week out of cows that shouldn't be calving until the 2nd week of Oct. one was a 40lb heifer calf out of a first calf heifer. We get brewers grain from a local brewery and feed that to our first calf heifers,the good news mamma and 40 lb calf both came up to the feed pen yesterday so she is a strong 40 pounder.

Gizmom

The heifer I had due this fall with a known breeding date calved today, she was due Oct 12. Heifer calf, 57 lbs, healthy & active.

Latest posts