calves bulling

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have 180 head of #750 steer and heifer calves in a pen, implanted for 70 days, and the steers are bulling on the heifers ALOT! Just today I had 2 steers I had to put in a seperate pen due to rectal prolapse, 2 last week also. Is there a secret to keep the bulling at bay, or do I just need to seperate the boys from the girls? Is this more of a problem due to the hormones in the implants?

My guess is that a steer is a male...males (as well as dominant females) will try to bully others...and, there is the "pecking order" of a species. Would probably be better to keep the males away from the females.

Hormones? Assume you mean growth type steroid or other "beef industry type" implants. We don't and wouldn't use them for many reasons--so have no information on this subject.
(User Above)":2jjrwx4y said:

[email protected]

> I have 180 head of #750 steer and
> heifer calves in a pen, implanted
> for 70 days, and the steers are
> bulling on the heifers ALOT! Just
> today I had 2 steers I had to put
> in a seperate pen due to rectal
> prolapse, 2 last week also. Is
> there a secret to keep the bulling
> at bay, or do I just need to
> seperate the boys from the girls?
> Is this more of a problem due to
> the hormones in the implants?

Your problem has more to do with the fact that the heifers are going into heat. The Implant (if crushed when it is put in) can cause bulling even amoung pens of just steers. Your options would be to seperate the steers from the heifers, or to feed a product called MGA. MGA prevents the heifers from cycling, and can be fed to steers without any side affects, other than extra expense. I believe the cost of the MGA is around 5 cents per head per day, depending on your source. Warning, If you choose to go with the MGA, if you run out of MGA or forget to feed it for a day or two, it is likely that 50-75% of your heifers will go into heat all at once. If that happens you will have a real mess on your hands for a few days.