Calves and minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Ive noticed the calves hitting the mineral feeder far more than the mature cows. Is there any particular reason or is it just because they burn so much up in growth?

Last year I could have strangled mine, they were in that expensive chelated(sp) mineral all the time, just because they could. Put the feeders in deeper tubs so only the cows could get at them and the calves just got the normal mineral out for them. They are like babies, always have to put things in their mouths . :roll:

Sounds like what mine are doing. 50 lbs in 2 months for 13 hd including calves. And its been out ling rnough for the mature cows to not need that much.
Everytime i turn atound theres a calfs head in the dern thng

hooknline":1519toi6 said:
Sounds like what mine are doing. 50 lbs in 2 months for 13 hd including calves. And its been out ling rnough for the mature cows to not need that much.

You old tight a$$. I put out 800lb yesterday. :lol2: :lol2:
Does get expensive though.

I know right! I do take exception to the old part tho.
But thats why you make the big bucks

I was going through 40$ of mineral per 15 head a day , ridiculous !

Now it is 1 bag per 50 head every 3 days . I still think it is alot ,but they are near calving and being fed old hay.

Holy smokes hd.
I think id start a fundraising campaign for them at that point

hooknline":3i3fkh8t said:
Help me out here. I either stayed up too late or got up too early, and with what little gray matter I have left, I figured at 50 lbs. per 6o days, thats a little over 1 oz. per cow or calf a day. There is no way you can stay in the cattle bidness at that rate. Did I figure that right or is dementia sitting in faster than I thought?

That was just a guess on how ling the bag lasted. Pretty close i think though
Question was more is there a reason the calves hit it more than the cows do.
Or is it like hd suggested and they just do it becuse they can.

i wonder, is there salt in the mineral or block salt on the ground?
I think it is because they can, but also they are growing and go through growth spurts and need more minerals and vits during those times.

hooknline":1w72i08s said:
Ive noticed the calves hitting the mineral feeder far more than the mature cows. Is there any particular reason or is it just because they burn so much up in growth?

I think calves play with the feeder more than cows. My cows really use a lot of mineral in the summer, but much less in the winter.

I have quite a bit of clover in my hay this year - - have you seen hay type have any effect on mineral usage?

Not really Steve. The range cubes i use have some major and minor minerals in them as well so the mature cows dont even really use the mineral feeder much. That ive seen anyway.

Good point gale. I noticed the salt level and it seemed high to me as well. Honestly its the first time i really looked at the tag because its what was recc by several cattlemen and the ext agent.
Maybe im just reading too much into it

hooknline":2s60l4sr said:
Good point gale. I noticed the salt level and it seemed high to me as well. Honestly its the first time i really looked at the tag because its what was recc by several cattlemen and the ext agent.
Maybe im just reading too much into it
That is a lot of salt for a mineral. Included at that rate it should actually limit intake. The 3 components included at the highest rates in mineral is normally calcium, phos. and salt. In order to get salt up to 31% I'd think they had to cut one of the other back considerably. Since phos is the most expensive I'd just guess it would be the phos.
When weaned mineral levels in calves drop dramatically since they're no longer getting milk. They'll readily come to mineral but probably don't eat nearly as much as it appears. Most just "nose around" in it and lick a little bit.

HD your consumption is good but could still be just a little bit higher. Sure beats having a mineral that they won't even touch. ;-)