Calve on the way

Help Support CattleToday:

sizmic

Reaction score
I strolled through the embryo recip heifers today. Saw some calves kickin, they're due the 28th.

Anybody know what letter year we are on, I'm thinking of transitioning tag marks to this?

Sizmic

Some breeds don;t use the international standard. But the international standard for 2011 is "Y"

1st one of the year here, DEAD! 17 days early, looked like he got stepped on his head! Weather didn't help any. Cow looked like he got at least one teat pulled down though. Crappy way to start the year.

Sizmic

Lost one last year we had about a foot of snow and the calve was never found.. AND WE ARE IN EAST TEXAS.
My farm got 6 inchies of snow sunday and monday, plus sleet and rain and its is below freezing now. We can not even get to the pasture where our momma cows are. And i hade a few cows that probably calved monday. Hope they all calved ok and the calves were able to get up and nurse.

Hope the rest of your calving season goes well.

We calve this time of year and into the March time frame. The cold weather doesn't cause us that much trouble. Cows been having calves long before humans domesticated them. I seem to lose more in the late spring and summer months as it is damp then. Sure that your cows are fine. We tend to move ours to lots we can get to also when bad weather approaches just in case. Good luck!